The Ultimate M4 Build......

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Hottshot
100+ Posts

The Ultimate M4 Build......

Post by Hottshot »

Ok Maule drivers and wannabe/wishIcouldbe Maule drivers We are getting ready to build the best combo of light weight /horse power balanced M4 Maule. In the end this airplane will be for sale. Soooooo here are a list of things I am planning to include/start with on the build.

1) Flow matched Bal/Blue printed O-360 w/CSP
2) Basic VFR panel with 696 GPS
3) Wing Mods (TBD)
4) VG's
5) EXT HD Gear
6) 31" Bushwheels & Tailwheel
7) Sea Plane Doors
8) Extended Baggage
9) Super Sky light.

Now the question is If we stay with the Certified route it narrows the mods that we can do with out a loooonnnnng STC process or if any one is interested in a ground level build for you set up we can change things up and go Experimental and really do some great things. So what do you think?

We are currently finishing an M6 restoration / upgrade to show possibilities for future so i have time to work things out for the M4.

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

GO EXPERIMENTAL !!!

i don't imagin it would be easy to do wing mods and stay certified

here is a 2 seccond list of things that would be a real challenge in the certified world ... very benificial ... and things that you can just do in the experimental world without any trouble

- electronic ignition
- composite prop of your choice
- fuel injection conversion (pending engine choice and if you swing that way)
- wing and flap modifications
- gap seals (technically not approved in certified M4's i believe though you all should have them anyway)

the biggest complaint i have right now about our experimental M4 is the Flaps and mechanism but i don't have the time to pursue a change right at the moment.

in the next year or so i will need to add something to the fleet that i can operate out of the pasture with though i suspect i could come up with a list of modifications that would drive the price well north of reasonable :?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Wup-

How about a set of universal wings, O-360 blue printed and balanced, gap seals, single side electronic Ignition which I think you could do and stay certified... You could probably get field approval on the universal wings with some effort and data from Maule Air...

Experimental would be much more fun with universal wings, full fowler flaps, sportsman LE cuff, IO 390, blueprinted balanced and flowed heads, gap seals, full electronic ignition, lighten up, and prop at your option. Composite props are great for weight, but we've had several of the MT Props LE strips damaged at tip areas from rocks / debris, which epoxied per MT, but doesn't hold for any period... End up sending back to MT for repairs, so I'm not a big fan due to reliability issue vs price.. $12K-$14K?? I sure like the composite fixed pitch (Kato)that looks like the Scout Prop with big fat blades, they're very light, but all we have seen is seaplane installations, so not sure how they're gonna hold up in the gravel / dirt. Flip side you can buy 6 of these at less ten $2K EACH for price of one MT!! If you could get weight down to 1100 - 1200 lbs, this would be a real neat performer, and with a round tail!!! :shock:
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

An oil cooler shutoff operable from the cockpit.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

I'm a thinkin' experimental as well - knowing of course that route also has its challenges as far as FAA rules go.

#1 of course is light and you already know all those tricks.

* A modified cowl (CF?) with swing-up doors would be way cool. Related would be a swing out mount for the engine.

* Keller flaps!

* A revised trim system - moveable horizontal stabilizer ala PA-18.

* PowerFlow or perhaps Sutton exhaust...anything but Maule's.

* LED's all around.

* Folding seats.

Prop is a tough one. While I like the simplicity and light weight of a fixed pitch prop (and the Cato gets great reviews from the SC community), I'm not willing to give up the (relatively) good cruise speed and economy you get from the CS prop. I wish I had any info contrary to Jim's re: the MT props but I know guys who have had recurring trouble. Not worth it for the price.

The rest of your list sounds great to me. It's going to be a sweet bird I'm sure.

Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

Why the antiquated Garmin 696?

Are you throwing in a free 8-Track player too?
MXT-7-180A Comet

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

That's just rude MauMau! My old 296 is offended! LOL!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Hell the old Pilot III that I use was offended..... I have the 696 so Use it unless you are going to buy it then I will put in a $50K glass panel for you.... :lol:

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

BatMaule wrote:I'm a thinkin' experimental as well - knowing of course that route also has its challenges as far as FAA rules go.

#1 of course is light and you already know all those tricks.

* A modified cowl (CF?) with swing-up doors would be way cool. Related would be a swing out mount for the engine.

* Keller flaps!

* A revised trim system - moveable horizontal stabilizer ala PA-18.

* PowerFlow or perhaps Sutton exhaust...anything but Maule's.

* LED's all around.

* Folding seats.

Prop is a tough one. While I like the simplicity and light weight of a fixed pitch prop (and the Cato gets great reviews from the SC community), I'm not willing to give up the (relatively) good cruise speed and economy you get from the CS prop. I wish I had any info contrary to Jim's re: the MT props but I know guys who have had recurring trouble. Not worth it for the price.

The rest of your list sounds great to me. It's going to be a sweet bird I'm sure.

Paul

The Trim has been addressed in another project and the added weight/complexity don't seem to make it worth the out come (When have you ever heard of a trim failure on a Maule? Cub?.... On the rest you are pretty close to the track I am headed for.

Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Now that I have used a number of them on Supercubs, I think that a bellypod is a "must" for operating bigger loads out of short/rough strips. Any chance you might work on getting a pod approved for the maule. Good luck on your new adventure.

Isaac

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:D
Last edited by MauleWacko on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I'd vote for the 390 over the 360. More power, same weight. Only thing is I don't know if it will run Mogas if needed.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

696 GPS or what ever gissmo, yea prolly soo.... there are not any reeeal pilots left any more!
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

PA-14

I can still dream of a Maule with a 185 Warner if'n I wanna

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

In today's FAA climate, how does one get an experimental tag so easily on a Maule by just modifying it with a wish list of parts. The Cub guys seem to be able to do this as well. What am I missing?

Mike