The Ultimate M4 Build......

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

that's an interesting question. maybe m4 being first produced! sorta like hopin up an old chevy/ford! anyone with time in m4 220c with 220hp franklin and m5 235c Lycoming for comparison? thanks....

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

but what makes the M4 so special?
they have nice bums...

typically lighter than other models and you stand a better chance of finding an M4 with just the basic avionics making it cheeper for guys that just want to go out and burn fuel and don't have the desire or need to land at a major center or IFR cross country ect ect, that would require more of the high priced avionics that seem to find their way into newer models... sometimes in an excessive manner...

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Yes, light weight and simple is why I've kept mine. On 31 inch tires I'm at 1330.

The continental io360 has been a great motor for me. I won't hesitate to put another one in there. I would like to explore the Lycoming option for the following.

1. Auto gas option?
2. Hand propping
3. Weight reduction
4. Increased t.o. Performance with flat prop?
5. Lower overhaul cost and higher TBO

Mikew

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

There are one for sale in SA but engine is almost time ex, 200 hours to go. Only concern is the little round tail and small rudder.

cooker
100+ Posts

Post by cooker »

Only concern is the little round tail and small rudder.
someone here has done the math on this and i hope they chime in.. I thought the surface area of the rudder was comparible to newer models or more?? perhaps it was the same but ratio wing span to rudder a bit better?? i forget .. Jeremy ??

the round rudder works well with our amphibs so can't see an issue on wheels

rumour has it the Cont IO-360 is high cost for overhaul .. even so i think it would be my preference as well.

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

I have flown the M4 220 frank and the M5 Lyc 235. The 220 frank makes a hot rod of the M4. It has excellent short field performance especially with the C201 prop. Also, at altitude the 220 Frank puts out more HP than the Lyc 235, because of having high compression pistons. Another thing is that the Franklin engine weighs less then the Lycoming. If you ever hear a Franklin engine rumble you will never forget it. If I had to choose between the M5 235 or the M4 220, based on performance I would go with the M4 220.
Curtis

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It is not really relevant re rudder areas as much as is the balance of rudder area and travel and vertical stab area to wing length and flap area and travel and aileron area and travel.
Besides the M4 rudder there are two different rudder chord lengths and 7 different wing/flap/aileron lengths and different aileron chord lengths.
M5
MX7 early
M6 early
M6 late
M7 early
M7 A
Universal
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Rudder area differences or not, the M-4 is just a better, classier looking plane. Curtis has one of the finest I've ever seen.

Curtis
100+ Posts

Post by Curtis »

Thank You Mr. Pilot. I am sure your plane will be a very nice one when you have it completed. I am about ready for a trip to Louisiana. I am going to make the trip to the Angola Prison Rodeo in October. When my daughter was growing up, and I was living in Louisiana, we went every year. For the folks wondering about the rectangle slanted tail versus the round tail. Several years ago I was at a fly-in and was talking to a gentleman that said he had worked at the Maule factory when B.D. changed the tail designed. His story was that B.D. felt that by redesigning the tail he was modernizing the look of the Maule same as Cessna and Piper had done. Maybe someone from Maule can comment or verify that.
Curtis

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I spent a lot of time with BD discussing changes and developments of his aircraft, as I stayed at the house with June and BD whilst picking up Maules for delivery. He told me the 1974 tail idea was taken from the Bellanca Viking which he liked. I then visited the Bellanca factory in MN to see their developments.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Jeremy - that's neat stuff. I hadn't noticed the similarity between the Viking tail and the Maule until you mentioned it.

The Viking is a real sports car btw...got to fly one years ago. I always thought they were a great value compared to a bonanza or other high performance airplanes in that class.

Mikew

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Did this build ever go anywhere?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Yes almost all the parts gathered and finishing a Cub project then on to the M4. 8) Gotta be able to pay for the build first hahahaaha