New here, hello and looking for advice on my options.

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

The best source for understanding Maule models would be Jeremy's site. Hyperlink to his chronology page below:

http://www.maules.com/chronology.html

Good luck hunting, you'll be happy with whichever model you get :D
David
'91 MX-7-180

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

Maulehigh wrote:The best source for understanding Maule models would be Jeremy's site. Hyperlink to his chronology page below:

http://www.maules.com/chronology.html

Good luck hunting, you'll be happy with whichever model you get :D
Thanks.

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

That chronology has been helpful. Looks like what I want is an MX-7-180 B or C.
I don't really have a preference between the Oleo or the spring gear, I can see the pluses and minuses of each. I have read the Oleo gear will work better when landing on 2 track dirt roads. I will be doing that sometimes, I hope.

So, I am reading here of getting 5 to 9 GPH fuel burn at a 100 to 100 cruise. Is that knots or MPH? It also says here: http://www.pilotfriend.com/aircraft%20p ... ule/17.htm That this model cruises at 145 MPH. Yeah, I know, they lie. What is realistic at 75% and what kind of fuel use would I expect in a "I just want to get there" type of cruise?

Someone I work with insists that a Maule is a ground loop waiting to happen compared to the Carbon Cub and Sport Cub's I have been flying. I am not afraid, and if they were that squirrely, no one would want one, right? Specific training also cancels a bit of that out. BTW, the guy who said that was fixing a ground looped Carbon Cub, so there's that.

Because of living in North Central/Eastern WA state, I will be flying in a lot of nasty wind. I feel comfortable in a cub with about a 15 mph crosswind component, but wouldn't go looking for it. I would think the Maule's would handle this as well or better due to more weight.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Most of the guys say that about a Maule are supercub captains, they just about will land themselves as if on autopilot... Yes, Maules are a little short coupled, but just a matter of getting some good training in type, and staying ahead of airplane. The advantage of the Maule is, once competent, you can just about fly anything with a TW, not true vice versa or with a cub as they're fairly easy and forgiving... Once comfortable in the Maule, and you learn how to make the feet work, you'll find its no big deal although occasionally they will make the old heart go pitter patter mostly in high winds gusting across runways...

Another consideration is the MX180C carries significantly more empty weight with the spring gear installation, though it is wider stance for more stability ground handling.... Also more tendency to bounce then the dampened oleos... You will also find that lots of STC paperwork is not applicable yet to the newer 'C' model which may or may not effect your plans of any Mods? 75% power with constant speed prop in the 180 with standard tires should net you close to 120 Kts in cruz at about 8.5 to 9 GPH. Back it off to 60 to 65% power and would probably get you 100-105 Kts and 7 to 8 GPH depending upon how aggressively you lean...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

David I have a MX-7-180B, 8.0 tires and CS prop. I get 105kts at around 75-80% power, fuel flow is 8.5gph at that setting. (23", 2300rpm). The airplane handles very well and the weight to thrust ratio is very nimble compared to my budies bigger engined MX7.

I'll say this about the ground loop comment your buddy made: "a taildragger is a gnd loop waiting to happen", all tail draggers are, they must be flown until you shut them down. Good solid instruction, and practice will make you comfortable in at TD a/c regardless of the model. Some are quirckier than others, but all of them have slightly different characteristics depending on the situation, wx, winds etc. I'll tell you my Maule is a handful in a 15kt xw (my limitation not the planes), in 10kts or less I am comfortable. Its all about experience, training and practice. There are situations where heavy cubs are a lot harder to work in xw's then my Maule heavily laden. Bottom line the MX7-180 will do everything you need it to do, just make sure you invest in your training and get comfortable with the machine. BTW the advantages of a stol a/c mean you can use taxiways into the wind and stop in a dime! Just sayin...
Loogie

grub

Insurance

Post by grub »

David,
Give some of the insurance carriers or brokers a call and make sure you are insurable for a TW maule. Last yeat I got a quote of 2000.00, this year the quote was almost 2800.00 after some time with instructor. I ended up with a training wheel maule and I got a rate for 800.00 per year.

I would be really interested what rate you are able to negotiate. It may play a part in your decision.

Cj

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:roll:

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

Loogie wrote:David I have a MX-7-180B, 8.0 tires and CS prop. I get 105kts at around 75-80% power, fuel flow is 8.5gph at that setting. (23", 2300rpm).
Loogie,
You state you have an MX-7-180B, but your signature states '81 MX-7-180. The 'B will have 32'11" wings whilst the '81 MX-7-180 has short 30'10" wings. Just intrigued, as your cruise speed is 10kts slower than mine for same power setting and wondered if the wing length has something to do with this? Empty weight of mine is 1366lb and we are running 7.00 x 6 tyres.
David
'91 MX-7-180

Loogie
100+ Posts

Post by Loogie »

MH my Maule is an 86 model, with 30" 10' wingspan. It shows B on my paperwork, I asked about that and the factory said oleo strut. I am curious about difference in speed as well, but it does fly at what it advertises it's speed should be, 105kts.

I tend to agree w your assessment though, B for the longer span, Jeremy's website is my ref.
Loogie

DavidB.

Re: Insurance

Post by DavidB. »

grub wrote:David,
Give some of the insurance carriers or brokers a call and make sure you are insurable for a TW maule. Last yeat I got a quote of 2000.00, this year the quote was almost 2800.00 after some time with instructor. I ended up with a training wheel maule and I got a rate for 800.00 per year.

I would be really interested what rate you are able to negotiate. It may play a part in your decision.

Cj
2800 a year would be do able for the first year, I would hope after an incident free year that I would be able to get a lower rate. What do you insure hull value for? What kind of deductible?

I would be comfortable with a high deductible, maybe 10K. Being and A&P with the tools and experience to fix anything of an airplane, I wouldn't file a claim for damage unless it was pretty serious or a total loss. If I were to buy a older fixer aircraft, I may even decide to forgo hull insurance.

How much tail wheel time did you have when you got that quote? I just added mine up and am at 96.4 hours.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Gentlemen, please remember, though the Insurance companies request hours, what is important to yourselves are landings,
Consider that to be fully proactive and profficient one should be able to do everything that your airplane and the wx can do to you.
For instance;
4 primary ways to land a taildragger,
4 primary directions wind can come from,
5 possible flap settings.
Therefore 80 different landing configerations.
3 of each is 240 landings.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You'll never regret having the extra horsepower. However while one could say that they'll just pull back and cruise like a 180 hp model with similar fuel burn, truth is that it's hard to do that all of the time.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Must not have been a good year past for insurance carriers and Maules? I just got my annual quote on my commercial insurance and after dropping for past several years, has gone up this year almost $2000 a year? I wish I could get commercial insurance for $2800 per year!!! That's after having been insured by same company over 12 years without a single claim!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Jim maybe you are getting older.......

DavidB.

Post by DavidB. »

maules.com wrote:Gentlemen, please remember, though the Insurance companies request hours, what is important to yourselves are landings,
Consider that to be fully proactive and profficient one should be able to do everything that your airplane and the wx can do to you.
For instance;
4 primary ways to land a taildragger,
4 primary directions wind can come from,
5 possible flap settings.
Therefore 80 different landing configerations.
3 of each is 240 landings.
Good point. But other than a 3 point and a wheel landing, what are the other 2 primary ways?