Float fittings

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
29singlespeed

Float fittings

Post by 29singlespeed »

If a Maule does not come with factory float fittings, how difficult or $$$$, is it to add them?

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

MauleWacko wrote:Just go buy the m5-235 in WI with 2400 floats for 66K and get on with it. It will be gone soon.
Havenet seen that one.. Will look at it, rather get the universal or long wing. Had to delay looking a bit because my company was acquired and job was uncertain. And now with new shoulder surgery it will be 3+ months before I can fly. Heading to AK in July for a bunch of big boy training on big wheels and floats.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Most of the longer winged airplanes are strictly a bolt on operation for rear fittings and front uses gear leg tabs... Just a matter of properly locating and burning holes in fabric for attach bolts. Some of the older airplanes require some minor structural mods on tubing requiring welding, but still no big deal. Where you going up here for your big wheels / float training? I do float training in a Maule up here in Fairbanks, or drop in for cup of coffee if you make it this far north? Big wheels are out though when water is soft as I only have 1 plane and it's stays on floats from breakup to pretty close to freeze up....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

aero101 wrote:Most of the longer winged airplanes are strictly a bolt on operation for rear fittings and front uses gear leg tabs... Just a matter of properly locating and burning holes in fabric for attach bolts. Some of the older airplanes require some minor structural mods on tubing requiring welding, but still no big deal. Where you going up here for your big wheels / float training? I do float training in a Maule up here in Fairbanks, or drop in for cup of coffee if you make it this far north? Big wheels are out though when water is soft as I only have 1 plane and it's stays on floats from breakup to pretty close to freeze up....
Thanks, I was digging further and found an old thread about M5's and how the factory had the frames reinforced starting in the late 70's perhaps.

I am going to to Talkeetna - flying with Don Lee. Wont make it up to fairbanks, going to be in Anchorage for a mountain bike event and able to tag on 5 days in talkeetna. Wish I had time to go other places, I would of definitely gone up there. Guessing you didnt make it to AZ this year at all?