New to forum, thinking of buying . . .

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

@Nick -- PM sent, I think. Having a bit of trouble with sending PM's.

@FlyHound, thanks for that tip about bigger particles hiding in the oil filter, that might result in the oil suggesting things are better than they actually are.

mxt180

Post by mxt180 »

I had 250 hours in a 172 and four in a DA-40 and I went with the trigear MXT7-180. Insurance first year (2006) was just over $1400 annually with $100k on the hull and $1 million liability. Trigears are a little slower than the tailwheels in cruise but it fit my misson well, which sounds similar to yours. Outside of landing on gravel bars the trigear can handle just about anything you can safely throw at it.

As respects transition, it was quite easy. First takeoff there was a lot of rotation back and forth about the longitudinal axis as the ailerons are not nearly as large on the Maule as they are on the 172. Overcame that by the third takeoff. Landings can be a little more abrupt as the Maule doesn't glide as well, but it takes harder landings well. Good to go there on the second landing. Getting used to the CS prop and different avionics were the only other issues.

Quite frankly, I didn't have the courage to go with the conventional gear. Having learned to fly in my 50s I recognized my hand/eye isn't what it once was. The trigear made sense for me and was an excellent choice. I would encourage you to consider a trigear, as well. You'll find the insurance cost a fraction than that of the tailwheels, and there's likely a reason for it.

Good luck in your search.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks MX',

I'll keep open to trikes as well! I appreciate hearing about your painless transition from the 172. It's good to know it wasn't far more complicated.

MAU MAU
100+ Posts

Post by MAU MAU »

With regards to the asking prices on aircraft, remember that some sellers think their craft is made of gold, some are looking for what they may owe, and the last group are the ones that are realistic.

I had 1130 hours in taildragger's and was quoted $1710.00 for a M-7 235 taildragger with 130k hull and 1M liability, and $806.00 for a MXT-7-180A tri-gear with 100k hull and 1M.

I chose the tri-gear as my wife is learning to fly and I wanted to keep it as basic as possible. It lands great in short grass strips, logging roads and pretty much any other place you may want to go.

If you think you may want to frequently land on soft sand or rock strewn strips, the bigger tires on the conventional gear will serve you better.

Choose the craft that will suit your mission the best and don't look back.
MXT-7-180A Comet

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Good thoughts, Mau, and I appreciate your sharing the insurance differences between conventional and trike versions. A bit surprising given all the time you'd logged!

Teaching the wife to fly, hey? It's the perfect "auto pilot" -- one that legally lets you have a snooze!

;-)

Flyin'Dutch'

Post by Flyin'Dutch' »

xwildcat wrote:Machines break when you use them. They REALLY break when you don't.
How very true.

I bought an aeroplane many years ago that had not been used regularly for the previous 5 and during the first year every turning and rotating bit needed some attention at some point.

No problem and ended up with a great aeroplane but make sure that a) you are aware and b) the purchase price reflects this.

People who are not flexible in price and rate their aeroplane as 9.5/10 are unlikely to be willing sellers.

Caveat Emptor!
Previously M5-235C GBVFT
FAA CPL/IR AME CAA PPL

stevesMaule180

purchasing your own airplane.

Post by stevesMaule180 »

Brenton,

We own an MxT-180 2008.
We had owned an Mx-180 2007 tail wheel.

Unless you are mostly turf, grass flying, may I recommend the nose wheel.

When we went from tail to nose dragger, our insurance was cut by 50%.

Unless you have several years in a tail dragger, the insurance will be very costly.
Don't get me wrong, tail draggers are down right sexy. But like a sexy lady, they can get very.... very ... tempermental when landing crosswind.

The stats prove this, which is why insurance is 1/2 with a nose wheel for low time pilots.

I have over 600 hours, mostly in the MxT-180.
We love the utility of the Maule.

I have landed her in some real tough crosswinds, and with short timed unpredictable shifting wind gusts,
and she is a gutsy ol' girl.
Just make certain to approach close to 'the numbers', then add a little throttle to improve control if it is real snotty. That way, if you need a go-around, you are not gassing her at a low idle.

It is a buyer's market. Take your time, and enjoy the search.

Safe flying, and happy hunting.

Steve and Lisa Giarratana
Connecticut

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾