New purchase of 1965 M4 210C

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
Cash

New purchase of 1965 M4 210C

Post by Cash »

Have under contract in Colorado. Doing prebuy. New wt & balance 1314 empty, 7.52 EWCG, and 2300 gross. Mechanic says modified by SL #7 and #15 increases gross from 2100 to 2300. Didn’t know that! Anyone has sample wt & bal problem and charts? Does 7.52 EWCG seem ok? Haven’t seen manual yet.
Flyrider

norcal64d

Re: New purchase of 1965 M4 210C

Post by norcal64d »

I can't help with the charts, but I definitely suggest finding someone familiar with Maules for the prebuy. Make sure the oil is topped off in the oleos as part of the prebuy and if there is a puddle under the plane the next morning, the o-rings are shot in the oleos. Its a bit of a pain to fix, so figure that into your price. For sure pressure check the exhaust system as well, and look for signs of the exhaust wearing into the lower firewall and causing cracks.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

If the blue and white one listed that say's nosed over in 2001. Records show nose over in 2003 wrecked in 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969 also. that's five times one with gear blown off and another nose over. I would be more concerned of all the repairs more than paper work. Not trying to step on a deal but, nothing better than a flying Banana! This is not out of the normal for a maule being wrecked this many times. Just have a good look if you don't know find a good guy that can.
How about lift struts? Sealed. Fabric? W&B would be my last worry on the initial first five minutes I just found out on this history. :shock:

Cash

Post by Cash »

Wow haven’t seen logs yet older than 90’s. Where you find that info so quickly? Per logs recovered, repainted and engine and prop overhauled in 97’. Then in 2003 ground looped into plowed field and nosed over with little damaged. Yes does have sealed struts. Having a A&P/IA do prepurchase that maintains a Maule just three serial numbers different. The other M4 owner flew it to mechanic and said it flew well. However if wrecked that many times does give me doubts. Like all info you and others may have. Thanks
Flyrider

Cash

Post by Cash »

Maule Wacko please inform me where you found accident info on this plane I can only find 2003 one. Thanks for your help
Flyrider

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

The wonderful world of the internet. Just search the n number. I have had more aircraft than most. One thing I always look for is where it has been. I stay away from aircraft that lived in certain parts of the country. A wreck is a wreck. No big deal. It is how it was repaired that matters and is it true and straight. Low time engine, fly's good, checks out ok by a good mechanic, Buy it.
Aviationdatabase is a good site to look at some history.. Also when a airplane changes hands a lot, you have to step back and ask why!! There is a reason and a seller won't say because he want's to sell the pile of shit and move on to something else and wants the Cash!! :shock: