O-360 A1G6D with Dynafocal Mount in a MXT7-180C

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

O-360 A1G6D with Dynafocal Mount in a MXT7-180C

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I just purchased a MXT7 in Louisiana that had a O-360 A1G6D with Dynafocal Mount on it. This quite experimental approach was reported to have 100 hours of flight time on it. I have to say, seeing it run was a delight. Smoothest 180 Lycoming I've ever seen period.

The owner, a highly skilled welder (pipeline) bought the dynafocal ring and after some study and head scratching, built the mount. Like the Maule conical mount, he built it so the trigear nose wheel mount bolted to it.

He did extend the cowling 3" to accommodate the installation, but a second try could yield a cleaner closer fit.

An STC for a dynafocal mount for a 180hp on M-4, M-5, and MX7 Maules would be a great improvement and allow access to a range of other engine models. Perhaps this could lead to a 210hp 4 cylinder Lycoming installation as well. Just hoping. See Stoots in Alaska has gone this route in 170/172/175 cessna's

The O-360 A1G6D used in this experiment was from a Beech Duchess, it had the horizonal pressure carb setup like the C1F in the maule, and really was a sweet installation.

I did not purchase the engine or mount. But it is for sale on Barnstormers last I heard. It reportedly had about 900 hours sn, but no log books.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

The Commander 112TC used a dynafocal mount TO-360-C1A6D.

M5-210TC used a TO-360-F1A6D a conical mount, the dynafocal would help with the shakes on my TC.
As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

dynafocal mount

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Interesting, could it be BD just used the conical mount approach from the old pipers, and never looked forward due to the expense to re-engineer?

I understood there was a 200HP Maule M-5 built, curious what engine mount it used? Any one have that history?

I was really impressed, the over primed, cold, wet, 40 degree day did not stop the Maule from starting, even though it had sat for months and had a down battery.

As I watched for the tail pipe to dance (single pipe), it lit off with narry a wiggle. Got to love that dynafocal.

Perhaps the prop speed limitations could also be eliminated.
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.