Grove one piece landing gear attachment option?

Pacer

Grove one piece landing gear attachment option?

Post by Pacer »

What are your thoughts on this installation of the Grove one piece aluminum landing gear on this Laviasa Puelche III "Piper Pawnee" using the existing landing gear attachment points? Do you feel it is a good option if someone wanted to mount the Grove one piece landing gear to a experimental Maule or Pacer? If it is a good viable design solution I wonder why Maule would not use this as their spring landing gear option allowing the owner to switch back to the oleo if they wanted to or vise versa and to minimize manufacturing costs? Again this is if it is a good design.....one would think its strong enough considering how heavy a full loaded Pawnee could be with agricultural chemicals.

StuporRocket
100+ Posts

Post by StuporRocket »

I'm not exactly sure how the factory spring gear mount on a Maule, but I do know that many Pitts had cracks form in the lower longerons due to the original (non-Grove) spring gear mount & resultant twisting/flexing during braking/landing. I do believe Robby (Grove) came up with a solution to resolve the issue in the Pitts and other similar airplanes.

That said, I'd take the Oleo gear any day for where & how I used my M-7-235. I don't recall ever flying a Maule on Spring gear, but I have heard it is very docile. I never thought the oleo gear wasn't as docile as could be.
Scott@Oglesby.org

"Don't follow me. You won't make it."
PA-12-150
M-7-235

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks kind of add on ish.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Looks really draggy.
What advantage do you see over the Maule two piece wide aluminium gear, the second iteration of which there have been no problems.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

"the second iteration of which there have been no problems"

Just curious, What was wrong with the first iteration?
M5

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

It sometimes took a 'set' after a hard landing and showed up on the earliest MT7 and M8s.
Another separate change was improvement of the attach brackets and is addressed in SL66.
The latest third iteration is only on the M9 type and is heavier duty for higher gross and is gun drilled for internal brake fluid routing.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide