Looking for a Maule project to make experimental Maule.

durtracir

Looking for a Maule project to make experimental Maule.

Post by durtracir »

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I am here because I have been studying the Maules and I am interested in building an experimental Maule.

Can the group give me some good advice? My mission is a 900ft unimproved strip in Colorado, 7600 MSL. I want to build as light weight as possible. Best model to get for an experimental project. Any advice for the 51% paperwork also much appreciated!

Thanks,
Barry

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Barry, if you are trying to get to 51% for an E-AB certificate you are going to have to scratch-build a set of wings or a fuselage.
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

If I where to replace my Maule and looking at experimental I would probably go with the Bearhawk. I have a friend close by with one and it's a great plane. His has the 180 hp lyc and it does well on my place. Not nearly the DA's you will see. Good Luck I'm sure some of the others on the site have some ideas
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Shouldn't need to go experimental to operate out of 900' at that density altitude, but you will want either a 235hp or 260hp. Depending on experience and comfort level, you might need to keep it light, as well. A few good mods would make it much more comfortable.

I am in Colorado part of the year. At similar density altitude to what you describe, with my average-weight M-6-235, I can get off in less than 400' with two people and some gear in the plane. I am on 8.50s and non-extended gear, so with big tires and extended gear, you could do significantly better.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Shouldn't need to go experimental to operate out of 900' at that density altitude, but you will want either a 235hp or 260hp. Depending on experience and comfort level, you might need to keep it light, as well.

I am in Colorado part of the year. At similar density altitude to what you describe, with my average-weight M-6-235, I can get off in less than 400' with two people and some gear in the plane. I am on 8.50s and non-extended gear, so with nig tires and extended gear, you could do significantly better.

durtracir

Thanks

Post by durtracir »

Thanks for the advise guys!! The search continues.