Sky-tec starter for franklin

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Thanks for the posts everyone. It made me go with the most conservative course of action which is what I should have done in the first place. Even though I have flown it and everything seems to be running well I will go back tomorrow and retime the mags. TimB can you expand on the mag mod. I have worked with sky-tec and southern aero and get vague and conflicting instructions from both.
flyfish1

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

The Sky-Tec starter does not for the Franklin have any kick back clutch and during start if the engine kicked back the starter would not slip back words and would sheer off the gear teeth on the ring gear assembly in the engine and one had a big job ahead of them and the big thing was to find the ring gear assembly for the 220’s and the $$ they get for them if that is all that went wrong during a kick back. The original instructions from Sky-Tec had you install a push button switch in the panel for the starter and remove the wiring from the mag switch start portion and switch it over to the push button. The starting operation was to engage the push button and get the engine turning over first and then turn on the mag switch to reduce kick back and damage of the engine during start up.
PS: I heard this is the reason Sky-Tec starters were pulled off the market years ago, I do not know if this issue has been resolved or not in the new starters or not, if not install the push button and get the original installation instructions and operation of the starter in Franklin engine’s.
PS: They do work nice and crank the engine over much faster and that is the reason for the push button.
TimB

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

Thanks for the info TimB. Looking at the sky-tec site they are advertising " Features Sky-Tec's exclusive self-resetting KPS kickback protection clutch" on the website. I am thinking that they have addressed the problem. Thanks for the post because that could sure ruin your day.
flyfish1

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

Looked the new Sky-Tec starter, way better unit than the old Sky-Tec starter. I see why the price has gone up from the old unit especially if it saves the engine a lot cheaper in the long run and a better starter than the original. And as Jim mentioned reset the magneto timing properly much cheaper in the long run, A good A&P may be a lot cheaper than the alternative.
TimB

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Thanks Tim, as this engine using 100LL is just BARELY enough octane to run at factory settings without detonating, so I recommend if anything slightly retarded from factory is much preferred over advance of any sort. I also have a 165HP that someone did the helicopter pistons with higher compressions, making 180HP, same problem with mag timing, crankshaft sheared right in half at a main journal...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

And Jim if you have Slick magnetos and as the points wear the timing advances making them a time bomb, but with Bendix magnetos with point wear the timing retards making them the magnetos to have on Franklin engines.
TimB