M5 restoration project

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Do these help?

Add 5/32" for the distance from end of ruler to the zero mark.

Bottom of wing, max distance from wing skin.

Top of wing.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

That's what I wanted!! :) thanks

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

if you were to install a remote heading and attitude sensor in the plane, what would be your preferred location?

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Put a GMU11 in the left wing. Attached angle bracket to most outboard rib and mounted it there. No interference even with strobe in wingtip. Now, if I could just get the magnetic compass on the panel to swing a little closer.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

That was my guess as well, the only problem in my case is that the remote compass has to be installed within 1deg of pitch of the unit in the cockpit. If I had to take a guess the bottom part of the wing and the cockpit panel should be more or less 90deg to each other that means the top and bottom of the instruments are parallel to the bottom wings so it is ideal. But 1deg is a lot of accuracy. I most likely have to come up with an adjustable bed for the remote compass.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You'll be pretty close. Which one are you installing?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

will be installing a Dynon D180 as engine monitoring system and flight data backup, while the main avionics will be 2 iPads fed via wifi from an iLevil.
Had to make a multiple failure interaction study, but finally it got approved since there is plenty of redundancy with this configuration.

here's a rendering with the instruments and the final layout, all switches are on the left panel, here in the rendering I planned to put the circuit breakers on the right panel, but at the end I put them all in line underneath the throttle levers.
Upper panel is carbon fibre.

Imageposted image

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Ok, you have my interest. What’s the deal with the Ilevel AW system. It seems it’s a more robust version of a stratus? Are you getting this setup approved in a certified Maule or an experimental Maule? Is the Dynon D180 required for approval?

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

the iLevil, is a magic box with external input for static and dynamic that feeds any tablet or phone via wifi with attitude, altitude, airspeed, gps position and much more. The device then needs to have some app in order to make a useful use of those data. They provide a free app which is ok, but there are other apps which are much better. it also incorporate ADSB in&out, if you still need to upgrade.

being experimental I don't need certification, however the Italian EAA since this was the first full glass cockpit without any steam gauge backup wanted some kind of redundancy and the Dynon D180 beside being a great engine monitoring system, it also incorporates basic flight data and an internal battery (so the iLevil) that will serve as a backup should something not work on the tablet or iLevil.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Any trick recommended when compressing the oleos spring in order to match the 3 holes to insert the bolts?
I tried with an idraulic press, but it seems almost impossible to perfectly match the 3 damn holes. There must be an easy way..

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I find that it quite nicely with a hydraulic press. If the holes don’t line up, rotate the rod 180* in relation to the spring seat.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yea, a press or an extra person. A press is easier.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

And agreed, sometimes need to rotate the piston relative to piston rod by 180 deg
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Are each piston and rod drill matched?
I might even have swapped components within right and left, so if not interchangeable than I already know why it was so difficult.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I think it would be best to consider them drill matched. None of these parts are exactly mass-produced; they are each individuals. When you buy new rods, they come undrilled, and you use the pistons as the guide to drill them. Haven’t bought new pistons, but wonder if they come undrilled also.