M5 restoration project

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Where one can find the proper torque value for each structural bolt.
Eg. Landing gear, engine mont, wings attach point, tail bolts..

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Found this one:

http://www.supercub.com/pdf/AN%20Bolt%20Torque.pdf

Not sure the source of data, though. I believe it’s standard per fastener type rather than location unless specified otherwise. At least that’s what I gathered from my mechanic when we had a similar discussion.
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

will double check the AC43, but I'm quite sure it comes from there. thanks

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

on a IO-235 how much room is there form the bottom of the throttle arm control and the cowling?
I mean throttle cable in the part which is attached to the tube coming out of the engine mount, to the linkage with injection unit from bendix.

Yesterday I've trial for the engine, to take some measurements, but I couldn't try to install the lower cowling. I need to make up my mind whether to install the throttle body in this position with the throttle linkage horizontal, or to turn it 90deg and have it vertically to the right side of the engine as per the original installation.

The throttle body if you wonder is part of the EFII kit.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Freedom, its an IO540 235 hp.
Fit it as original, there is not much space.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Jeremy, I can do that no problem, the only issue is that rotating the throttle body as original on the bottom there will be a couple of sensors plug, how much space are we talking about, an inch?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I don’t know the distance without pulling a cowling next time I’m at an IO540 but I do know that the lever arm for the alternate air door is already too close and often fouls on the cowling
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I can't find in the drawings the part number for the piano hinge in the swing out window.. anyone has it?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

It's on print 9110

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

what is the reason for that center baffles that splits the top part of the engine in 2 halves? is it to route more air toward the oil cooler

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Oil cooler And number 5 cylinder which is typically the hottest
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

What was the trick again to preserve the o-ring from getting damaged when inserting the spring assembly into the oleo strut?

Mine obviously have got damaged as one is leaking oil. I've even kept them upside down for 3 days before installing looking for leaks.. But I guess it is more prone to leak with the aircraft weight trying to extend.
Luckily enough I found it out before installing the engine.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Are you sure the leak is from the external O ring, it can be leaking up the shaft at the inner O ring. They can also get cut at assembly. It is inside the cylinder head and grease helps smooth the way plus the smooth chamfering of the shaft end.
For outer cylinder head O ring make sure the inside edges of the four bolt holes are not sharp.
You can also insert a one thou feeler gauge at each hole to cover it as O ring slides past. Best to do a practice fit without O ring fitted to make sure all aligns correctly. It makes it easier to fill the oil if a coil of the spring is not directly across the oil filler hole.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

So the “techniqueâ€￾ if I got it correctly is to lay 4 one thou gauges to cover the holes, slide in the spring assembly, remove the gauges. I’m quite sue it is the outer oring as I could already see tru the 4 holes that it got damaged. That is why I let it seat for a few days upside down hoping to spot potential leaks. But clearly they only manifest when the strut is under tension to extend.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Yes re feelers, but it makes no difference if gear is extended or compressed.
It is an enclosed cylinder with double acting oil damping, so oil is squeezed in both actions but not at rest.
The pumping movement can force oil up the shaft by inner O ring or past cylinder head outer O ring.
If pulling it off the plane, it is worth disassembling the spring cartridge and checking the inner O ring also.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide