M5 restoration project

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

having partially completed the fuselage I've to start planning the next phase of the project.. the wings.

I've to admit I was so focussed to the fuselage, that I've more or less ignored them up to now.
is there any one with some pic or drawings for a simple jig to sustain them in order to work on? I mostly need it on the tip side, os on the root I can easily invent something my self.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The original M5 wings were built flat and then were twisted for washout by adjusting the rear strut.
Later wings are built with the twist at the build table.
Are you re-skinning or just fitting the 2500b upgross kit.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I need to reskin the top of one as it has been damaged, chang flight controls wires, check fuel lines and fuel tanks, replace wirings, install capacity fuel sensors on the main tanks.. that I know. Plus some others surprises that ar going to come up for sure while tru.

What's the up gross kit like? I'm not sur I have it on the fuselage, though it was on floats before.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The upgross kit can be recognized by a doubler from web to web on the spar ends and the attach straps are milled smaller to still fit in the fuselage fitting.
The top of the doubler has a line of rivets about 9' long ahead of the leading edge skin full span line of rivets.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Anyone to share picture for a jig to hook up the wings?
I can probably invent something myself o the root side, but how to you hold the tip side once the tip is removed?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I have been known to use a car, or van or pickup truck with rack or scaffold and mattresses on top. Hook up root, then move vehicle forward perpendicular to fuselage till clear of strut fittings.
The wing weighs roughly 150lbs.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Will have them horizontally on a rack stand, ok?
Other than schtchbrite them for painting, I don't really have to do anything underneat.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Fuselage mostly completed, should post a few pics on the daylight in a couple of days.

Now getting ready for the next chapter..

the wing skin are made of 2024, I guess??
What thickness .025?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

M5 wingskins are .020 and later universal wings 1993 on are .025 on top.
While you have the wings off, overhaul the flap bell crank bushing, bolt and bracket and the bell crank backstop which is glued to the rear spar.
You don't want any up and down movement of the bell crank when the flap is loaded by wind pressure.
When putting wings on and rigging aileron cables, be sure the one foremost cable does not ride up over the rear strut rear attach strap. It often happens so there is a SL regarding it.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

On one of the wings the flap mechanism only has half of the components so will definitely need to go and check it all.

I've noticed on the trailing edge within the upper and lower foils there is a reinforcement strip, looks like 0.04. On the area I need to repair it is missing.
Any info regarding this strip are appreciated..

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To get best flap performance I would suggest removal of the gust lock mechanism, see D10 in parts manual and replace with the limit cable as in the M4.
I don't know where the reinforcement strip you mention, is. Perhaps it is the gross weight increase doubler. It should be on both wings.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

I would suggest removal of the gust lock mechanism, see D10 in parts manual and replace with the limit cable as in the M4.
+1 on Jeremy's suggestion.

As per his same suggestion I went w/ the M4 set up after my gust lock mechanisms kept trying to get outside my wings. That was well over ten years ago and absolutely no regrets.

TD

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

The strip I'm referring to on the M5 dvd is called "wing trailing edge strip" p/n 2046B

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

There no such a thing as D10 on my part manual. They usually are 4 numbers.

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

That would be Group D-10 in your manual.

It has the explosion of the notorious "Flap Up-Lock" assembly.