replacement fuel gages

akholland
100+ Posts

replacement fuel gages

Post by akholland »

Does anyone know of a boat fuel sender and gauge that will fit in the tank? maybe off eBay...? or a replacement guage that will work with the maule senders ? I have a pile of 8 senders here and a few work but none match the gages from the factory dash cluster. the best I can get is a half full reading from my tip tanks senders in the m5 wings . I think I need a 30-230 ohm...
Guess I'll go rob some gages out of the junk boats out back and play with it some more.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Are you sure the float arm is bent such that the slipper gets full travel on the winding.
Low wing old Pipers use same sender but arm needs adjustment
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Yea I have others that I move by hand full travel and half tank is best I can get. Maybe I wired it wrong, who knows. the breadboard plug was bad so I connected straight to the Guage

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Sometimes the windings are worn through and it is hard to see, so the slipper connection only works on a portion of the travel.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

it did this with multiple senders. Did maule ever have more than one ohm range for their guages? I know the gages in my 63 model are different but they are individual guages. I'm curious if all the m4 and m5 guages that are part of the 3 Guage cluster are the same ohm range. and what exactly that ohm range is supposed to be.... this particular m4 is a 64 model I think

TimB
100+ Posts

fuel gages

Post by TimB »

In the 60's AC made the gage and senders, in the 70's Stewart Warner made them, in the 90’s Rochester made the and now UMA is making them, and none of them work with each other.
TimB

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

who is ac? is that the full name?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

AC Delco. A General Motors division.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

montana maule
100+ Posts

Post by montana maule »

If you need AC senders I have two. Send me a PM if you would like them.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Re: replacement fuel gages

Post by MauleMechanic »

akholland wrote:Does anyone know of a boat fuel sender and gauge that will fit in the tank? maybe off eBay...? or a replacement guage that will work with the maule senders ? I have a pile of 8 senders here and a few work but none match the gages from the factory dash cluster. the best I can get is a half full reading from my tip tanks senders in the m5 wings . I think I need a 30-230 ohm...
Guess I'll go rob some gages out of the junk boats out back and play with it some more.
we have ours sent off and overhauled/rebuilt. If interested I can try to get the name of the company that does this.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Got it fixed for less than 10 bucks! Sight Gages!!

Step 1. Grind off the old broken sender from the steel circular plate and drill a hole in it and install a AN 1/8" aluminum tubing fitting. Stub a tube out.

Step 2. Install a Brass T inline with the forward fuel tank supply line.

Step 3. Rob the visual sight gauge system from a wrecked super cub. There's diameter reducers in the clear line to keep the level from sloshing. Making sure NO sags in line that would give false level and that the bottom elevation is no lower than the tank fitting in level flight.

Step 4. Add measured amounts of fuel and mark flight levels and on ground levels.

Step 5. Never worry about a failed guage EVER AGAIN! and enjoy the increased accuracy and SAFETY!

Debated using the rear tank supply line, but decided against it as the forward would represent empty before the rear would. What do you think?

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

For this to work accurately you need fitting bottom middle of tank and another a top middle of tank. If I remember right, isn't the sender access about half way up tank side? So in level flight, you indicate a full tank when over 1/2 tank in tank? Not exactly legal either?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

not legal for certified use I'm sure but it's experimental.
but it's about 7/8 or better up the side. more concerned with the accuracy of empty. I'm pretty sure 43.13 says only empty has to be accurate anyways.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

To signal empty, you have to have a fitting at BOTTOM of tank and halfway back to front.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

hmm, hate to drill a hole in my tank. I'll figure something else out