EFII electronic ignition lycoming J1a5d 540

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I'm thinking efii because it can be upgraded to fuel injection, and dual electric ignition In the future. Only pro for light speed plasma 3 is there seems to be more of them out there so they might have more bugs worked out and better ignition timing curves..?

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

The thought of a hotter longer spark with timing has to improve economy and power. I would like to keep it as simple as possible so I don't think I'd be doing much more than a single mag system. But that is all down the road.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Ordering the EFII today. My decisions was based on the fact that the Plasma 3 is the older Capacitive Discharge ignition, while all newer automotive ignitions are Inductive type. I'll report back with some results after it gets here!

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

USPS Tracking Says it will be here Saturday!!! Cant wait! Goona have to bore lots of holes in the sky to make sure its saving me money on fuel :)

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

So over a month to deliver. Is that normal?

I never liked the dual mags even when we ran them on twins.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

I was a little disappointed in the delivery time. I did have to mail off a flywheel and he had to mill it and install a permanent magnet inside it. He said he had 3 units ahead of mine which is why it took him 2 weeks to make it. If it's a good product, it will be worth the wait. He didn't get it shipped until yesterday.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

Concerning the reports of the mag having a large drop in rpm compared to electronic ignition, It looks as though the change in spark plug gap to accommodate the EIS would greatly affect the mag efficiency. Doesn't it seem absurd to allow non compatible systems to run parallel?
Let Freedom Prevail

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Because the electronic ignition has longer duration the mag fires during that spark so it has little effect on the combustion cycle. Basically one over laps the other the mag only fires at a specific point while the other has a little advance to improve combustion.
Kirk Johnson

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

My bad. The two systems wouldn't be firing on the same plug!
Let Freedom Prevail

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Tried the efii on a 4 cylinder experimental lycoming engine. Highly recommend efii. Install is cake, took an afternoon. Allows more leaning. much smoother motor idle and up top. Instead of popping right away while pulling the mixture, it just sort of starts losing rpm smoothly. On top of that, I have more confidence in the engine since its smoother and I feel safer with 1 mag and 1 efii than 2 old mags.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

is this the system you purchased? If so have you run any performance flights - before and after type stuff. Just wondering the value/cost benefit you see. The redundancy factor is huge two different type systems spreads the risk factor.
Kirk Johnson

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

unfortunately I fill up with a transfer pump from my pickup and don't have a fuel meter at all. I really need to buy one. I just know the motor runs smoother and will probably last longer because of that. Maybe i'll do a few flights with 5 gallon jugs and see what it gets me over the factory chart burn rates.