Finally a Photo of Bill Duncan's New Machine On BCP

Post by Flybrian1950 »

Check out Bill Duncan's New Machine on BCP:

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/s ... prop-14092
SN 8020C, The first M6-180 land plane.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Wow! Nice paint. I want to see that cowl opened. I'd love to have a hinged cowl. Like the doors too! Can't wait to see some performance data on that thing!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

For those that didn't notice, Note Modified Supercub wings installed, full fowler flaps can be seen inbd end of LH Wing. Cowling is nice, almost like the cub as well. I'm sure they've probably lightened this as much as possible, ought to really get with program... And saw where someone was asking on backcountry page if experimental, which I'm sure it is?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hopefully the factory is paying attention to these mods and considering incorporating those that are successful into new models and/or offer as mod kits for existing aircraft? Just a thought. 8)

I did notice the Cub nose bowl and Cublike cowling. Didn't notice the flaps or the wings but they are indeed fabric covered with Cub struts!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Bad. Ass.

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Sure would be neat if experimental guys would post more pics of their builds! Seems like not many people do that these days in fear of big bro. but experimental there's nothing to fear right? Lets see more pics!!

benflyn
100+ Posts

Post by benflyn »

As I hurtled through space, one thought kept crossing my mind - every part of this rocket was supplied by the lowest bidder .
John Glenn

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

Another Franken Maule in So. Cal.

Post by Flybrian1950 »

I have heard of another Franken Maule type project in the Riverside California area that was recently completed. I think it has a six place fuselage, more like the Sherpa.

I saw an early version of the wing for the project in 2008. I believe it started as a long Maule Wing and was extended, had outer wing slots, and additional ribs to increase the GWT as well. At that time the project was changing from an IO 720 to a liquid cooled 450HP chevy V-8 powerplant.

It would be great to hear more about this project if any one knows the owner, and can coax them into giving us a new glimpse.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Another Franken Maule in So. Cal.

Post by Hottshot »

Flybrian1950 wrote:I have heard of another Franken Maule type project in the Riverside California area that was recently completed. I think it has a six place fuselage, more like the Sherpa.

I saw an early version of the wing for the project in 2008. I believe it started as a long Maule Wing and was extended, had outer wing slots, and additional ribs to increase the GWT as well. At that time the project was changing from an IO 720 to a liquid cooled 450HP chevy V-8 powerplant.

It would be great to hear more about this project if any one knows the owner, and can coax them into giving us a new glimpse.
That is Johan......

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

. :roll:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Flybrian1950
100+ Posts

The wings, winglets and tailwheel look one off.

Post by Flybrian1950 »

This plane, even more so than Bill's may look like a Maule, but the measurement of a component would quickly reveal they are a long way from stock Maule parts.
The airframe dimensions on this one were much larger than an M7 airframe setting next to it when I saw it in 2007 or 08. It likely had to be further modified for the Chevy V8 and water cooling approach.
For a project like this I would think building the components from scratch would likely take less time than trying to modify an old Maule part.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I was flying around today( need to get all the practice I can) and meet a fellow with a Bush Hawk home built looks very similar to these "maules" he was running io 360 and seems to have good performance. We both had stopped at the cheapest fuel around (KEHO). He was finishing of his flight time, anyway it was a nice looking setup. I could see building something like that if I was not into instant gratification.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Sure it was a Bushhawk? Not a Bearhawk? I was looking to buy one of the latter when I ended up with my Maule. Still like to have one, but not up to building it right now.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

yep I think your right bear in the bush or something like that. I also see the appeal in it but like I said I don't have the patience to build one let alone the time.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Ok. After following the Valdez fly-in from afar all weekend, I thought again of Bill's new beast. I wish he could have had it at the event and would love to see how it stacked up to the other Experimental Bush Class planes. However...I'd be satisfied just to see and hear more about the plane!! Wup...are you listening....gotta have some more pics, video, specs!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"