Exhibition category VS. amateur built 51% rule....

pilot
100+ Posts

Exhibition category VS. amateur built 51% rule....

Post by pilot »

Is there anyone here familiar with the "exhibition" category? I'm wondering how tight the rules are and exactly where you can fly or how much record-keeping is involved? I would really, really like to go back as an experimental with my M5, but short of building a new fuselage I'm not going to make the 51% rule. Any advice?

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

Give me a call I think I can help you out with info etc....

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You would probably want to go full experimental as exhibition cat is pretty limited in comparison and no advantages that I've seen unless you have a warbird..... I've also done a couple of production conversions to experimental, and what WUP can't give you insight into, maybe I can. It's NOT THAT difficult depending upon whether you have one of those FSDO's there to help you or not do anymore then required for their jobs? 51% rule not that hard to meet and you're very limited in exhibition, basically recurrency training and airshow flying, general with a fairly low legal radius of flying on the proficiency thing...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Jim, my goal would be to stay away from exhibition class at all cost. I have a bare fuselage now - would love to get in under the 51% rule.

If not, I will put it back together as a factory plane and buy a "kit" that will get me where I want to be.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Have you actually looked at FAA's 51% rule? Lets see, fab, mnfr, and weld all flight control surf's.. Hmmm, gotta have aft baggage, baggage door? Entry doors, all glass, we can certainly do that in conjunction with mnfr'g new frames, MMMmmm, maybe different engine or prop... Fab and install all the new glass, add metal stringers, weld on float fittings, Gear, tire, brake mods. Different, maybe titainium firewall, modified engine mount. complete recover job, sure you could figure out some wing mods like some other flaps, ailerons or maybe just use some cub wings right from the git, as they are same airfoils and cubs have LE slat options, flap options, or even simple stuff like bush LE's... etc, etc, the list goes on and on, and with a bit of creativity, a couple of airframe mods on that custom airframe, the required removal of data plate due to no longer meeting requirements of original TCDS, and you're just about there. 51% that is!!! Basically, just takes some creative thinking, good technical writing, good documentation, and viola, a new experimental aircraft to go start flying hours off!!!

Of course feds aren't going to just let you do normal run of mill fabric job and let you call that experimental aircraft, not that I've never heard of that being done or for that matter tried... With some technical expertise, and a reasonable FAA Inspector, this is a feasible and could be interesting project... Take a good look at Greg Miller's combination, M5, MX7, M7 Experimental Maule performance with a 180HP that's been breathed on as well!!! I have heard statements here to effect that you can not convert Production aircraft into experimentals. This is just not true, as I've now done a couple, and there's many others out there.... Just has to be substantial changes and meet the 51% rule. It's certainly not something you're gonna do short time period, with out several changes, just to get the aircraft out of normal / utility cat....
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I think your goal is good staying away from exhibition. If you're just looking to put your project back together with full to no changes, forget it as you'll never meet the 51% rule even though you will probably assemble that much by the time you get done. If looking for experimental, you need to do some research on what you want to do for changes from original of any consequence. A moved forward battery / aft baggage compt / high gross kit / floats / skis are not the kind of issues feds would be looking for and chances of getting a project like that certified experimental will never happen. They are really looking for several MAJOR TYPE DESIGN changes more then anything, which will take some experience and research on your part.. Even one or two Major Type design changes may be enough to satisfy a good inspector, depending upon his comfort level, and your experience level. And his experience level with experimental cat acft... I would suggest if serious, rough out a plan of what you're going to change and how without any huge major detail, find the most experienced experimental FAA AW inspector in your area, sit down, drink a couple cups of coffee, let him pick your brain, you pick his, and see what you would both agree to?? If your plans are realistic time frame, and you've done enough changes on design, you may find him to be quite easy to work with, and he may even have other ideas you didn't even consider simply due to his experience level. If inspector just retired from airline job, no FAA experience, little to no GA acft experience, you're not going to get anything done. There is a wide range of inspectors out there, some who very much enjoy this kind of planning, work, etc, and if you can identify one of these guys, he can certainly ease the burden, these kinds of inspectors are just getting harder to find that want anything to do with our burdened, over regulated gov'mt mentally, but they are out there. They have lots of knowledge, contacts, that can significantly contribute to these kinds of issues etc, etc....
Jim