Fowler flaps

akholland
100+ Posts

Fowler flaps

Post by akholland »

Anybody have the drawings or sketches for fabricating something like Fowler flaps? I have some flap hangar brackets off my experimental glastar that I was scratching my head about. Just looking for ideas. I have some m5 wings that need a spar and some serious work. Figured why not play with them.

What are some drawbacks of longer or taller flaps from a design perspective? I assume potential turbulence on the tail might reduce effectiveness and stalls would be more violent. I assume there's a reason they only went as big as they did in their original design? Anybody tried anything?

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

You need to talk to Greg Miller with Bushwhacker. He just installed the new Fowlers on his airplane. Pretty impressive if your willing or able to pay for them ~$10k.
As with most things in a production sense, you have to be able to build a product that is effective, desired and cost effective.
Would be a hoot though! :shock:
Live it like its your last day.

akholland
100+ Posts

Flap hangar brackets

Post by akholland »

Could drop 10k and be plane poor, but Buying takes all the fun out of building! Here's some pics I found. I have to put them together anyway for the glastar, figure why not give it a shot and make a extra set.

Flap Hangar Brackets

Hangar brackets on spars

Bell Crank Assembly

Flap

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I personally prefer Fowler flaps over simple flaps by a wide margin.

The only disadvantages I find would be te extra weight and complexity. They may also impose a limitation against slips with full flap deployment.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

akholland
100+ Posts

Fowler flaps

Post by akholland »

I don't like to slip my m4 as it is. It shudders like it's stalling and doesn't feel right, probly be worse with Fowler flaps but with a maule I never feel much need to slip. Flaps slow her right down as is.