landing gear that can take a beating and not collapse

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Thinking about pulling A frame covers to take a look. Should have when I have everything apart to change springs. Any problems, speed or legally, to leaving them off?

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Most people don't bother putting them back on. Probably more valuable to see them than the 1/2 mph u might gain

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The faring is part of the Structure of the stock gear, nothing illegal but a bit of loss in strength overall. Put a straight edge on the aft leg to verify if not 100% I would replace asap. Don't forget I mentioned this to you when you bought the 6. 8)

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, guess you did. I went thru the rest of it, springs, bolts, etc., (and totally rebuilt that shaking tail wheel) but did not pull the covers and obviously haven't installed the flexible brake lines. Guess the lines are my good reason for pulling them. Just hate to go thru the brake bleeding.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

gbarrier wrote:Yep, guess you did. I went thru the rest of it, springs, bolts, etc., (and totally rebuilt that shaking tail wheel) but did not pull the covers and obviously haven't installed the flexible brake lines. Guess the lines are my good reason for pulling them. Just hate to go thru the brake bleeding.
Hahaha its not too bad.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Guess I'm still remembering the Cherokees and what a PITA they were.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

if you don't have one or know someone who has one look up Aircraft Spruce or chief aircraft instruments and get the brake bleeder system with the pump up pressure tank and bleed from the bottom will take you about 5 minutes once your hoses are hooked up

http://m.skygeek.com/aircraft-tool-supp ... Aq918P8HAQ

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

the only way to go. $10 pump up garden sprayer from Walmart and rework the valve/wand. I'll rig a few pieces of hose so as to not make such a mess in the floor.

akholland
100+ Posts

SPINDLE DESIGN

Post by akholland »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/569bwkpa2u1hf ... 030025.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5y4s6d2oh2kmm ... 030031.jpg

Need ideas on spindle design. So far I have utilization of a piece of angle iron with Cessna axles bolted to the wide leg. And the trailing arm welded to the short leg. Radius rod mounts about 10in. Apart. shock mount placed in centerline of axle load in both x and y axis.

The design is simple, cheap, and shouldn't take more than a few hours to fabricate.

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

Just thinking...........what about a Wilga gear. Trailing link and STOL aircraft??? Just a thought.....back to sleep now.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

Wilga gear would be sweet, but I have never seen one nor do I have any idea how to even begin building one..... it might require too much internal modification to the airframe to bolt up...? It might be like switching to spring gear, its a whole different animal. I could be wrong, never seen one.

I like the idea of the trailing link because It doesn't require internal changes, so if it turns out to be a flop, im not out a good airframe.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Here ya go! I have always thought an OV-10 would make an excellent bush plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3_hK0mWFI8
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

akholland
100+ Posts

Post by akholland »

That is pretty cool, but how to begin putting that together is out of my league lol.

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

The Wilga type set up would honestly be a pretty easy mod I would think....

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Cool setup. I was thinking it would be difficult to move the gear forward enough to accommodate the Wheel position. I never thought of just radically raking the gear forward...

This would work. It would be easy to get increased wheel travel with this setup. I can’t imagine it would be any lighter or stronger than what we have.

I'd like to see one of these at Valdez!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!