EAA members here?

pilot
100+ Posts

EAA members here?

Post by pilot »

Just curious how many forum members were EAA members. My first dream of aircraft ownership was my dream of building a really sleek 4-place composite like a Glasair or Lancair - later I decided that my grass runway here on the farm would be a wee bit rough and short for something like that. My search for the best fit in the aviation world led me here - Maule country :P
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

rjb
100+ Posts

Post by rjb »

EAA and AOPA member since 2005 when I began my training and got my pilot's certificate.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

AOPA since training and EAA for the last year or so.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

AOPA/EAA as well.
Joined EAA to get a discount on their traveling workshops when I got my first plane so I could learn a little about fabric covering and riveting in case I ever needed to do airframe repairs and have been a member since.
One day would like to try building something as well.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Have been member off and on over past 30 yrs depending upon my location, local chapter activities, my time availability, etc, etc...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

AOPA, EAA past 30 yrs and lifetime member of Antique Airplane Association.
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

taildragger
100+ Posts

Post by taildragger »

Been AOPA member for I think 28 years now and EAA about half that. You do not always have to agree with everything they do but they are about the biggest things around trying to help all of us!

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

I've talked to the EAA and the FAA today regarding an "Experimental" Maule - and how to get to 51%. Apparently if I use a Maule wing and build a new fuselage along with new everything else I can get there. My fuselage has quite a bit of rust, so a new one is in order - I can't just rebuild or repair mine and get to 51%. Still working it out, I won't go down this road without knowing I can get where I need to be :)

This is the main guideline to be followed:

http://www.eaa.org/news/2009/faa_8130.pdf
I can't remember if I fired six shots, or only five.....

M-5 220c, circa 1974
EAA #428061

BudG
100+ Posts

EAA

Post by BudG »

I've been an EAA member since 1996. I started on a Mustang II but had to sell the project due to Family matters. Started again in 2000 on a CH701/Zenith. Finished it in 2003. Flew it until 2007. Sold it and bought my present airplane (bought as an M5) I had it converted to a short wing MX7 two years ago.
It's not a 51% though.
I'm getting to the light sport age and I'd like to start building a Just Aircraft Super STOL.
Building was a real HOOT ! Can't wait to start again.
Love my MX7-235 too.
So much aviation so little time/money hahahahah.
Greg Miller (Bent Prop productions/BUSHWACKER) Did a complete makeover and it's Exp. category.

CAVU2U
Bud
CAVU2U

BUDG

pilot
100+ Posts

Post by pilot »

Bud, thanks for the information! I'm guessing you are in the exhibition category - if so how does that work for you? Does anyone here operate in exhibition, and how strict are the rules? From all of my research, if you don't get accepted as amateur-built the FAA will put you in exhibition.

BudG
100+ Posts

Experimental Maule

Post by BudG »

My Maule MX7 was ground up restoration and its normal category. I spoke with Mr. Miller once at Camas Washougal, Wa and he said that it was difficult getting an experimental category sign off for his "Bushwhacker".

I guess, if I could, I'd try to lighten up the Maule but other than that I can't think of any major improvements.....Maybe a folding panel. I'm getting old and stiff and crawling upsidedown and bent to get up in there is not so much fun. hahahahahah

CAVU2U

BUD
CAVU2U

BUDG