Upstate New York

Pilots who are looking for other Maule pilots in your area
norcal64d
100+ Posts

Upstate New York

Post by norcal64d »

Any Maule people in upstate NY? I'll be basing my MX-7-180 starting in October out of Watertown KART for a few years for work.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Re: Upstate New York

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy Norcal64d,

Welcome to NY KART!

I'm down at KRME Rome. Bring your camera for fall foilage pics, your heater, to pre-warm your engine, your winter gear for what we are known for " Lake Effect " snow fall, which spans from Kart to Ksyr. ( It may not stack up to your neck of woods experiences though.)

There's a number of private strips in NY, with public strips scattered about. With covid, we have missed all the pancake breakfasts this year, maybe come spring that will change.

When you get East, let me know, and we can meet up.

Tom

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Looks like Rome is just right down the road! I have an electric block sump heater, what are you using for heat up there? I'm on the waiting list for a T hanger on the field, but in the mean time they have a big shared hanger so the plane will be out of the weather.

Whats the winter flying like? Are most people flying with skies that continue to fly in the winter or just go to plowed runways?
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Surprisingly there is still an abundace of aircraft owners in NY and not enough T-hangars. You may get lucky and your name may come up off the waiting list, good luck! Your fortunate to get the shared hangar right a way.

I'm assuming your working out of Ft. Drum, if so, Thank you for your service and dedication.

We have a great number of blue sky days, but warn you of the Lake Effect issue, as it pops up and creates a solid sheet of bad weather from Kart to Ksyr when it happens. I even experienced with a rain storm in th summer. Sometimes one can fly east 60+ mi. Then south To go around to get into central NY.
As for skiis, if you have wheel skiis, that would be most helpful, as snow depth depends on the starting location and destination. Each year that varies, and my crystal ball is frozen to help.

Canada is just to the North, you may want your passport handy if you have an impulse for there.

Oh, collapsable shovel may be another item in your list.

If your here past Feb. 1st. Blue sky gets to be more plentiful.

Saranac lake is a nice short trip with a food counter for breakfast & other times. Bring your bike for getting to the trail heads to climb the various adirondack peaks.

Tom