pefecting wheel landings

Pilots who are looking for other Maule pilots in your area
MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

maules.com wrote:Actually capnkirk, its 80.
5 flap positions
4 primary wind directions
4 primarily differentiated landings
5x4x4+80 to enable pro-active landings instead of the usually taught re-active methods.
I was looking for this in a post you made somewhere else...never could find it.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

great video, maybe it should be mandatory for all airline pilots to fly a tailwheel Maule every once in a while, preferably with a strong crosswind. lol

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

You can push all those buttons and fiddle with all those knobs to perfection but plant that thing firmly at the end and they don't think much of you. On the other hand, you can muck it up real bad while you're up there and grease it on and they think the world of you. Now what's that all about.

UtahMaule
100+ Posts

Re: pefecting wheel landings

Post by UtahMaule »

Jim Aslanides wrote:As a new M-7 owner, practicing wheel landings was one of the most frustrating yet funnest time that I have ever had.

Once I got over being afraid to push the yoke hard forward prior to touching the wheels, the landings improved quickly.

Straight track, slight power, shallow descent and fly the nose thru the runway was the trick for me.

wonderful airplane but demands attention to the chalks.
Wont trade it for any other Tail wheel airplane.
Here's a few thoughts... Your trim setting should allow you to relax back pressure to roll up in a wheel landing. If you have to push, re think your trim habits.

Wheel landings should not be longer. In a Maule anyway. Slow down.

Get comfortable on the mains. The time spent to do that will pay you back. Roll on, lift off, roll on, repeat.... Then do it with left main only, then right, then repeat. It will make you better and IMHO safer in a Maule.

DesertEagle260

Post by DesertEagle260 »

Okay, I'm curious about the 4 primarily differentiated landing types and although being somewhat of a low-time Maule pilot (60hrs over the last 2.5 yrs), I'll take a stab at them so please correct me:

normal 3-point
normal wheel
very slow flat wing approach, i.e. Backcountry Aviation STOL approach by lameusernameguy
nose high, power on, drag it in and then (judiciously) chop the power ala Valdez competitions

I've done 1,2, and 4(though not pretty). One of my 4's was at T'hell'uride at 10K DA...stupid being paranoid about high ground speed, but it worked.

I'm anxious to get out and practice more, but I have to wait for a stupid sleep test for my medical. :(
Guess I'll throw myself out of less than perfectly good airplanes in the mean time and practice landings that way. :)
Eric Stratte
M7-260 N260BD
Based at WN26

RobHill

Post by RobHill »

gbarrier wrote:You can push all those buttons and fiddle with all those knobs to perfection but plant that thing firmly at the end and they don't think much of you. On the other hand, you can muck it up real bad while you're up there and grease it on and they think the world of you. Now what's that all about.
The touchdown is about the only part of the flight that the passengers in back can evaluate.

Love landing on a wet runway. Almost a guaranteed greaser. :)
Ex Commercial Pilot and CFIAI