Test Fit - Washington State

Pilots who are looking for other Maule pilots in your area
mkeller

Test Fit - Washington State

Post by mkeller »

I am searching for a MXT-7 or MT-7 but need to know how I will fit first. I was able to find a 1992 MX-7 and found that my knees interfered with the yoke. I have heard that sometime in the late '90s the cockpit got a little bigger. I'm hoping that is the case and would appreciate any info and/or a chance to sit in a later model. Please let me know if you are in Washington (I'm in Ellensburg) and would let me have a test sit in your plane. Thanks!

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Test Fit - Washington State

Post by Mog »

How big are you? I’m 6’5” and 265lbs. I’m pretty proportional leg to torso. I barely fit in any Maule. I heavily modified the cushions on my seat to make mine vastly more comfortable. I dislike sitting in Maules with stock seats and have to maneuver my knees around everything while operating the plane.

mkeller

Post by mkeller »

I'm 6'2", 230#. What year/model do you have?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

A lot of Maule pilots have the same problem. The seat is tilted up in front which makes it worse. I'm short and have 31" ABI tundra tires so I need a tapered cushion that is thicker in back than in front to see over the nose and to avoid my knees interfering with the yoke.

Several owners have modified or replaced their stock pilot seats with custom cushions (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6362&p=57258&hilit= ... ero#p57258) or Oregon Aero seats (https://www.oregonaero.com/seating-syst ... n-services).
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

mkeller wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:15 pm
I'm 6'2", 230#. What year/model do you have?
I’m in a 1969 M4. Arguably the smallest cabin. That said I do believe all the cabins are the same size throughout the years. Seats did change though. At your size I wouldn’t worry much, I would though suggest you send your seats to Oregon Aero and tell them you want the thinnest foam they can do. You can probably reference N4550R so they can look at what they did on mine. It makes a massive difference for us bigger folk. And at 6’2” you will be in the goldilocks zone with modded seats.

For reference I have flown M4,M5 and M7 models. I can manage in them all with stock seats but would change them all if I owned the plane.