Aux. Audio jacks on M5 -- What for?

This section is for board related announcement, questions and problems
Brenton C
100+ Posts

Aux. Audio jacks on M5 -- What for?

Post by Brenton C »

Does everyone/anyone else have these auxiliary jacks that look like they receive your headphone plugs?

Except the head phones don't work in them.

Now I've developed the wish that they are actually an in-put jacks, so that I could, for example, plug in my hand held Nav/Com and have a two radio system.

At least 2 radios for listening.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If they are what I think they are, they are for plugging an audio device such as music into system.
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Why that's music to my ears, Jim. thanks.

They are right below the jacks for my headset.

If I can plug in a music player, then surely/hopefully my handie talkie too.
Would be nice to use that for monitoring frequencies I'm not talking on!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Do the jacks have about an eighth inch hole for plugging into? If so, they're probably for aux audio, if plugs are same size as headphone jacks, not too sure what they'd be for?
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Hi Jim,

They are the same as the headphone plugs.

I'll rig up a cable to go from my handheld to this jack to see if it works. Might already have all I need in my ham radio junk box.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

I think I have an extra set in mine as well, just on the pilot side. I always assumed it/they were for a handheld mic but now I can't remember if I have one jack or two.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

they maybe power for a noise cancelling headsets. I have those up front in my M5 so no batteries need for my headsets in the front seats. The head sets can be a bit hard to find I ordered mine from Pilot Comm and I think some of the new David Clarks can be ordered that way.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

i put one in and connected it to the intercom... pandora works pretty well most of the time...
Iceman

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Lemo (powered headset such as Boise and Lightspeed) is a 5 or 6 conductor pug. If it's the same size as the mic on your headset it is a hand mic plug. Saw one in an M7 the other day.

51598Rob
100+ Posts

Post by 51598Rob »

You need noise canceling headsets in your Maule??
Let Freedom Prevail

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If same size as headphone jacks on pilots side only, they are for microphone, not aux audio as Andrew stated. In case batteries go dead in ANC headsets. To test, plug in mic with keying switch, turn up volume and do comm check with local ground or transmit and listen up on your handheld...
Jim

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

51598Rob wrote:You need noise canceling headsets in your Maule??
Well, we don't NEED headsets at all. Most Maules have a speaker, and we just could use a handheld mic. But a noise-cancelling headset makes things much more pleasant in any aircraft, including a Maule. Also helps save the hearing. Maules are quieter than many light aircraft, but that's a relative thing; they are still loud.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Thanks for digging into this one a bit more, Jim. Yes, pilot side only, same two jack sizes as my headset. I've plugged in there by mistake before and wondered why no audio. Perhaps cause my (cushy) Bose ANR headset had batteries in it?

Quieter than other planes? When my battery died on climbout once, it was downright painful!

I guess the road to comtemporary aviating practices is paved with deaf, disfigured and dead pilots.