STATUS UPDATE MAULEPILOTS.ORG

This section is for board related announcement, questions and problems
Christine
Site Admin

STATUS UPDATE MAULEPILOTS.ORG

Post by Christine »

So, I managed to get administrator rights back. I changed the signup questions (a few spam guys managed already to sign up - don't those guys have anything to do?) I erased 1000s of spammers and somehow some of them managed to activate themselves, not sure how.

Zane generously offered to move the board to his dedicated server in exchange for having similar advertising as in BCP.org. What do you guys think? Right now the space cost about 50$/yr....

I still have to do some work to upgrade the version of the phpBB. I am slowly learning the guts of this, but my time avail is limited
Last edited by Christine on Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Christine
Site Admin

Re: STATUS UPDATE (after 2 days with NO MAULEPILOTS.ORG)

Post by Christine »

Conversion to php version 5 (the script) is done - the update to the newer version of phpBB (the board) is still pending.
I experimented some and think I can do the conversion soon and without much down time.
I hope you guys weren't too worried that we lost out board. Welcome back!
Our host 1&1 had locked the old version of php script out, and until I figured that this was what shut down the board - just after I restored admin features, ...took a while since I was abroad and working (at my day time job).
But I learned a lot and am very glad to see the board back on and running.
After the final conversion I will need to clean out user database. So every user needs to log in at least once. You will get an email if you never have.
Happy Flying and Happy Maule-talking
Christine

Christine

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Christine, you have done such a great job of migrating the board. I can't believe you have learnt all this stuff in such a short period of time. I hope your passengers didn't notice much difference in-flight...thank goodness for auto-pilot. :wink:

Well done from this luddite.

TomD
100+ Posts

THANKS!!!

Post by TomD »

Great work!

IMHO, if we can do without the advertisement pop ups it would be preferable.

If it is a question of financials I am sure the members here would be more than willing to chip in to pick up the tab.

If, instead, it is a question of your not having the time to administer, then ad pop ups just may be the price of having an online forum that is essentially free.

We get them most everywhere else and I think they are seen as the price of "free" sites.

Cheers,

Tom

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Thank you for all your hard work. I appreciate it, and our community.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

rw2

Post by rw2 »

I support the move to Zane's server.

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

Christine, disregard any Email you might get from me...couldn't get an Email to go through to you either... been trying to log on for 2 days... wouldn't accept my log in info and for some time now checking the log me in automatically box hasn't worked..I have a new Email address so I couldn't change my password or anything... oh well looks like it's all straightened out...thanks for all you do... love our Maules.... Iceman
Iceman

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I will pay the $50 a year to keep it off his server and not have Google ads all over. Please PM me I will send you a check, cash, money order or cashiers check.

John :)

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'd be willing to chip in to avoid ads on the site.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks for all the hard work that you put in to administer the website, Christine.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

We all very much appreciate your work on this site Christine. Would also vote that a $50/yr add-free site is worth it and have no problem contributing. Thanks for your efforts!
Paul
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Good job and thanks Christine!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

brokenaero
100+ Posts

Post by brokenaero »

Christine,
First and foremost, I want to publically thank you for getting my profile straightened out. I felt bad that it came at the time when you had the other debacles going on. I want to mirror what others have said here, and that is, you are appreciated more than you know. I'm sure as we connect to this forum, it's easy to forget the work and dedication that goes into all of this. I'm personally not a facebooker or any other social medium, so for me this forum is where I check in regularly. I said all that to say this, that your dedication to this forum and its maintenance is inspiring and humbling. To this my dear, my hat's off to you and all you do. On behalf of all the Maulers out here.............We salute you.

The Forum Clan
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; and that His justice cannot sleep forever.-- T. Jefferson

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Thank you very much for your support and appreciation.
I also avoid advertisement wherever I can, and since most of you who responded and voiced an opinion, are in favor to keep ads out of the Maule Forum, I will continue at this time to keep this forum advertisement free.

Many kudos to Zane though for his willingness to get us back running if I hadnt been able to fix it myself. And thank you, Zane for offering to move the forum files onto your server.
Please bring him brown beers.
Last edited by Christine on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

BatMaule wrote:We all very much appreciate your work on this site Christine. Would also vote that a $50/yr add-free site is worth it and have no problem contributing. Thanks for your efforts!
Paul
Thanks Paul. My favored is free and advertisement free. Donations are still welcome as always and are possible at Paypal via donate@maulepilots.org

Some of you have donated last year/ the yr before last.
Thank you very much.
If YOU haven't donated yet, are finding the forum very helpful and like to donate a small contribution - anything is appreciated.

No pressure, all is completely voluntary

donate@maulepilots.org

Thank you all for making the forum an ongoing rich source of knowledge.
Christine