suspicious new users/problems with the site?

This section is for board related announcement, questions and problems
Paul Amstutz

suspicious new users/problems with the site?

Post by Paul Amstutz »

Has anyone else noted several hundred new members with unusual user names all from England? I am suspicious these are bogus, and also a little concerned that this might bring down the site eventually. Being pretty unsophisticated regarding web site issues I just point this out and hopefully someone can reassure me. Maybe I am just paranoid. Thanks, Paul

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

You might PM Christine, as she pretty much takes care of site?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Christine
Site Admin

Bogus member requests and SEEKING FOR HELP in UPDATING

Post by Christine »

Thanks, Paul.
Yes, it looks horrendous, but although those guys are showing as new members, they are not becoming active members until I activate them.
This is the reason why every new member request has to follow up with an email confirming their email address and validating their request. The not activated bogus members are staying inactive until I delete them. It would take hours every week to look at each of all those requests individually.
Every so often I delete older non activated accounts, and I just don't have the resources to spend hours to look through each record, so I may delete unintentionally a valid requester who didn't follow up within the last 14 days confirming their email address. If new users want-to-bes read and follow the instructions they will be activated if the request seems valid. I am hoping this process will be improved with the updated version.

I am still facing having to move our board to an updated hosting platform. Deadline from our website host 1&1 is may 31.
Time and resource permitting I will update the forums software as well.
Please PM me if familiar with phpBB and volunteering your help

Since it was customized by Zane and I have no documentation, it will take some work to do so.
I plan tentatively on may 9th to move the board in a two step process.

We may experience some downtime.

Again, if anyone of you is a phpbb experienced person, help would be greatly appreciated.
Please remember Jeremy and I started this forum many years ago and I have been keeping it up (also during my 4 Mauleless years) because I think it is a great way to connect and share information. Maintaining it cost time, and I have very little of it next to my work and commuting, so updating the forum (which will make it hopefully have some improvement) will require a chunk of time. Any help offers are welcome for the updating project

Greetings from my layover "down under"
Last edited by Christine on Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:25 am, edited 5 times in total.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Paul thanks for paying attention.
This site is a gold mine of Maule information. Hate to see anything happen to it.
Cheers.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

Any legitimate new user, having discovered this niche aviational goldmine wont mind the extra step signing up, in the event that they fail to follow sign up instructions.

I'm a fairly new case in point. I did it wrong, contacted Christine, and got on with it.

Btw, thanks for the work you do providing this service!

st8cop166
100+ Posts

Post by st8cop166 »

Christine, I would gladly offer my help but know ZERO about phpbb. Have you seen the www.supercub.org site? That format seems to be used in a couple of different forum to include the shortwingpipers.org site. I don't know if it's less trouble, more trouble, or more costly but a little different presentation.

I'm a fairly new member and sincerely appreciate the forum as well. It's been a wealth of information. Great job and thank you!
Former Maule owner . . .twice
1960 PA18 N87314

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

wow Christine... just paged through the member list.... looks like we now have the entire population of England as Maule lovers....
Iceman

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

iceman wrote:wow Christine... just paged through the member list.... looks like we now have the entire population of England as Maule lovers....
Probably a bunch of pasty pommy kids playing some flight-sim game.
Apologies to any of our tanned and hirsute British members who may have taken offence.;)