New Mexico

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
N949JH

New Mexico

Post by N949JH »

I recently moved from Alaska to New Mexico (Albuquerque). I left my Maule in Alaska but flying around New Mexico I'm looking at these mesas that are completely surrounded by cliffs but are totally flat on top. Has anyone on here ever known someone that's landed on them?

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: New Mexico

Post by Mog »

It’s happened for sure. I lived there and learned to fly there. Lots of fun low level flying out there. Get OnX Hunt so you can see what’s BLM or not as being shot at is not uncommon in New Mexico. And certainly watch out for Native Land. You may never be seen again.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Rezrider on this forum knows that area well. Don’t see him on here very much anymore. Look him up and pm him.

Kirk

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I'm here, sometimes!
NM is a great place to have a Maule. As others have said, know the land designation before you go playing around with off-airport ops. The BLM and NFS might get annoyed with you if you land in the wrong spot and that's ok. It's entirely different when it comes to native American land since it becomes disrespectful at that point.
The strips in the Gila are great. There is a small backcountry contingent in the state, the folks at New Mexico Pilot's Association will point you in the right direction. There are fly-ins from time to time but it's a relatively small crowd despite the large state.
I don't live there anymore, I moved back to Colorado but I still fly down there from time to time.
Welcome to the area.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

N949JH

Post by N949JH »

Thanks guys! Great info.