Stuart Island in the San Juans

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

Stuart Island in the San Juans

Post by Flyhound »

There is a private strip on Stuart Island in the San Juan Island group in Washington. It is a sweet little spot and the Washington Pilots Association has a rustic cabin there that is available to members. I checked out the cabin for a day in September and flew some friends there. It was a great flight to a fabulous destination. Here's a video of that flight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvIf6C4OdF0&t=3s
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Nice one Gary, wish we could have made it to that strip when we were up there. Oh well, the weather doesn't always cooperate! Looking good.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Hey Paul: We think of you two often. Yeah, it's a shame the Maulel crowd didn't make it there in 2015, but we made the best of the bad weather. That's an important still set to keep honed when you fly small planes with propellers. A separate email with the cone your way shortly.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Looks amazing.

Private strip?

How does one get permission?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Hey Mtn Doc: you either have to know someone that has a cabin there, or you have to join the WPA. If you are a member of the WPA follow the instructions on their website to schedule their cabin. I guess the other option would be to buy a lot and build your own cabin. It's tough because there is no ferry service to the island and there is no community power or water. Despite being close to major cities it has more in common with the frontier.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Rats.

It looks like the WPA page is facebook.

I don't do FB.

Thanks for the lead though!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Hi Bill;

Not sure where you got dumped into Facebook ( I don't do social media either) but here is the direct link to the cabin.

https://wpaflys.org/stuart-island/

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Thanks Tom, I'm on it. :D

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843