Kantishna

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Hawgsforever

Kantishna

Post by Hawgsforever »

Flew into Kantishna with a buddy visiting AK yesterday. Beautiful views of Denali and AK Range from over Wonder Lake on the way in strip was in great shape for the "end of the park road". Nice that airplane ownership can turn a 12 hour trip by ground transport from Fairbanks to a 1+15 hour trip by Maule!

Will post pictures when I figure out how...
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'd like to see your photos. I flew with Talkeetna Air Taxi in a C185 around Denali and landed on Ruth Glacier in 2008.

You need some kind of web server hosting to store the photos. I use Google Photo since it's free and you can link directly to an album without logging in if you have the link. Once you upload the photos to a web server you have a couple of choices to link to them on this forum. You can use the Img open and close tag to embed the URL of the album in your post, which will display the photo on the post. The downside of this approach is that the photo may be so large that it forces the post into horizontal scrolling. I usually have to resize the photo to about 25% to get it small enough to prevent that. The other choice is to use the URL button then paste in the link that you copy from the address bar of the photo on the web server. Use the URL button again to insert the closing tag in the post. Preview the post to see if everything shows up correctly before submitting the post. You can edit the BB HTML tags directly in the post if things go awry or if you want to do fancier things like making your link an English phrase instead of a cryptic URL. Click on the BBCode link in the lower left of each post to get help on how to edit or insert BB HTML, which is a subset of regular HTML.

Here's the first method using the Img button:

Here's the second method using the URL button:
http://www.maulepilot.com/IMG_1359-small.JPG
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hawgsforever

Pics from Kantishna

Post by Hawgsforever »

Andy - thanks for the instructions on navigating image uploads.

Here are three pics my PAX took looking over Wonder Lake (away from Kantishna Airstrip) of Denali as we were setting up for landing and I also included a pic of the M-7 parked at Kantishna airstrip...

Hope to get back there again when the weather is like this!

Image[/img]ImageImage[/img]Image[/img]
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Thanks for the photos. Beautiful country! Makes me want to fly my MX-7-180 there but it's a really long, expensive trip. The memory of my 2016 trip to the Idaho back country from Western NC is slowly fading. I had a great time once I got there but I got tired of the weather problems and the length of the trip. The ideal scenario for me would be to fly commercially to Anchorage and rent a Maule once I got there. Too bad nobody rents Maules. CaptnKirk and I have talked about a caravan flying to Alaska next year and I'm thinking about it. My MX-7-180 with the tundra tires is a lot slower than the folks with the M-6 or M-7-235 with smaller tires but there are ways around it that don't involve everyone flying at 90 kts ground speed like me.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hawgsforever

Post by Hawgsforever »

Andy,

Certainly hear you on the long flight up...when I was shopping for my Maule I considered airplanes in the lower 48 and Canada, but had to factor in the AVGAS and time invested to get the plane up here.

Love to have you and the other Maule owners caravan up...lots to see on prepared, semi-prepared, and unprepared strips across the state with beautiful scenery all along the way.

I am sure the other Maule folks in AK can offer great intel on places to go and see and I would be happy to share what I know about interior AK.
Hawgsforever
AK - The Great Land