Florida Flying with the Manatees

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Florida Flying with the Manatees

Post by Chris in Milwaukee »

Down in Crystal River, Florida visiting family this week, and my brother is here, too, with his teenage boys and daughter. They’d never been in a small plane, and the weather was perfect for a flight. I finally thought to bring my license and stuff with me, and went down to the to local FBO and rented a plane for a couple of hours. Yeah, it wasn’t a Maule, but a C172 will do in a pinch. Super smooth day for slow flying, and we spent some time circling the various springs in the area. The manatees were up in the springs by the hundreds. Both King’s Bay and Homosassa Spring we’re loaded up with the gentle giants. The kids thought it was the coolest thing ever. I did, too, since I’ve been dying to fly in Florida at my folks’ home airport.

Great way to spend the morning!
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A
Members: AOPA EAA VAA

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

Here are photos that the kids took. Hope they come through okay:

https://flickr.com/photos/41134969@N04/ ... 5000994347
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Great pics and looks like fun. How did the spam can suit you compared to the Maule? 8)
M5

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

It wasn’t horrible. Back seat leg and headroom is much better in the 172. I kept it at 75kts the whole time while sightseeing, so it was nearly like a Maule high speed run. :lol:
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

Very cool!

I actually enjoy renting at local FBO's when on vacation. Gives a chance to take in a different perspective of the landscape. Much better than just driving around in a car and certainly adds an exciting aspect to a vacation trip.

I rented a C172 in Maui last year and the whole experience easily ranked top 5 in my most epic flights log. We departed out of PHOG in Kahului and flew all around Maui, Lanai, and Molokai. I highly recommend MauiAviators.com if ever in Maui
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

It’s been a while since I flew a C172, especially one this age. It had 40 degree flaps on it, and I really had to dive it in when they were deployed to keep the airspeed up. So weird since I’m used to keeping the Maule with a level wing during approach. Keep the 172 at that attitude and it’s dropping fast at a pretty low airspeed. I probably could have brought it in at 50-55 knots, but it’s their airplane, so I’ll fly it the way they want it flown. :)
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A

CaseyM
100+ Posts

Post by CaseyM »

another testament to the excellent lifting capability of the Maule wing we all love. Throw out the flaps and it still doesn't want to come down.
N1042Z
97' MX7-180C

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

When the 185 that I fly at work is in maintenance, I sometimes fly a 182. It's a piece of cake to land compared to the 185 and my MX-7-180. This coming October my family and I are going to fly a couple of 180hp 172s in New Zealand on an 8 day flying tour. Pictures should be beautiful. I think we might have some NZ folks on the forum. If so, what do you think of Flyinn?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Chris in Milwaukee
100+ Posts

The Cutlass I flew before the Maule was an easy land. It didn't have as much flaps as this 70-something straight-legger I was flying. But I still landed it better than the Maule. :)

Funny how I still go on the rudder when I landed the land-o-matic. :shock:
Christopher Owens
1993 MX-7-180A