Another sad day

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

Another sad day

Post by crbnunit »

Looked like a brand new shiny Cub. No one hurt fortunately. On the ground and didn't stop before rolling over a ledge and nosing down into the water before flipping. Be careful out there guys!

You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

OUCH!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Can't really see the ledge from this angle but you can see where the tire tracks ended. Probably close to a 3' drop. I have other shots but thought I'd try to keep the N-number out of it.

Prop bent so engine tear down. Tail slightly mangled. Left wing and struts bent...
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Tailwind landings can do that to a guy
Bummer, pretty Cub too. At least they walked. No shortage of helicopters there too!
Live it like its your last day.

snaproll

Post by snaproll »

crbnunit wrote:I have other shots but thought I'd try to keep the N-number out of it.
Good on ya.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Trying not to sound like an armchair quarterback, but landing on any surface (water, snow) where you aren't sure what's under it can be a recipe for disaster. From the pictures it looks like it would have been possible to avoid the water.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Tides can make tremendous difference, not sure where water may have been at time of coming over the ledge, but tides can be 50' up here and will certainly sneak up on ya!!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

This was flat, smooth gravel. Probably about 600' of it. Another Cub, my M-4 and a 180 landed it without problems. No tail wind. Maybe even a few kts of headwind. What she didn't do was stop after landing and did a fairly slow, 20-30mph, drop off of a 3' ledge. The water seen here is no more than a foot or so deep. It was the drop that got her. They can be surprisingly hard to see.

I was doing about 80 across the flats out there on a KTM 520 EXC a few years ago when the ground just dropped away into an old water channel. Never saw it coming. Fortunately I didn't crash! Gotta love 12+ inches of finely tuned suspension!