More Southcentral Alaska

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

More Southcentral Alaska

Post by crbnunit »

Awesome day to fly. Had to get out and above the tree line.

Some one dropped in to visit while I was out!

Gotta love round tails! Anyone know how to upload video from a Coutour camera?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I think you can to Vimeo then post the link here. Nice pair of tails great scenery.
Last edited by captnkirk on Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

ajak
100+ Posts

Post by ajak »

Awesome! Willing to reveal the location on that one? I'd love to check that one out.

AJ
AJ
1983 M-6-235
IO-540W1A5D, 81" Hartzell, 4" ext gear, 31" tires, Atlee exhaust, long wings, VGs, LED ldg/nav/strobes, EDM-900, CiES

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Hey AJ, that is the pass between the Chickaloon River and the Talkeetna River. Same place as the first shot in Batmaule's photos. It was my idea to go there and they went without me! LOL!

62.184324, -148.384657
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

BatMaule
100+ Posts

Post by BatMaule »

Hey Jeff....do I detect sarcasm? We had to go somewhere that day! Definitely a cool spot though. My favorite co-pilot and I went there again the other day for some hiking and puttering about.....culminating in a Twister Creek burger in Talkeetna. I'll head up there any day with you or AJ. Let's go!
1983 M6-235
The "BatMaule"

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

did you land near the lake up there?
if so, how deep/rocky is it?
M5-235

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I was scouting new spots. There are several landing spots that look pretty promising but I didn't try to land them. The air was pretty unstable and I didn't want to be slow that close to the ground unless I was actually going to land. It is a little disconcerting when you realize some of the edge markers of the strip up top are made of bent airplane parts...

I was originally going to hike over to the lake and the pour off where the water has cut deep channels as it goes over the edge and into the gorge. I definitely want to go back and explore some more. Anyone wants to make a trip in the next few weeks, give me a ring!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

crbnunit wrote:I was scouting new spots. There are several landing spots that look pretty promising but I didn't try to land them. The air was pretty unstable and I didn't want to be slow that close to the ground unless I was actually going to land. It is a little disconcerting when you realize some of the edge markers of the strip up top are made of bent airplane parts...

I was originally going to hike over to the lake and the pour off where the water has cut deep channels as it goes over the edge and into the gorge. I definitely want to go back and explore some more. Anyone wants to make a trip in the next few weeks, give me a ring!
I've hiked down to that lake, as well as up to the glacier. I always enjoy going there, and haven't been there yet this year. If you go when I have a day off and the weather is good, I'd be up to join you. My days off are Sunday and Monday. 720-320-8265.

Victor Gennaro
100+ Posts

Post by Victor Gennaro »

How would a maule with 8:50 tires do in the locations you are flying?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

That one in the photos above is fine on 8.50s, as are many others around here. Others require bigger tires. Just depends on the spot.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Andy Young wrote:That one in the photos above is fine on 8.50s, as are many others around here. Others require bigger tires. Just depends on the spot.
You mean N..436 Andy? Is the other a/c on extended/HD gear?

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

truthinbeer wrote:
Andy Young wrote:That one in the photos above is fine on 8.50s, as are many others around here. Others require bigger tires. Just depends on the spot.
You mean N..436 Andy? Is the other a/c on extended/HD gear?
I meant that that strip is fine on 8.50s. N..436 is on stock gear with 31s. Not sure about the other one.