Southcentral Alaska

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
cubnak

Southcentral Alaska

Post by cubnak »

Batmaule and I did a little touring around SC Ak to get a little time on the birds and brush up our skills a bit, we both wanted to see some new ground so we made a big loop through the Talkeetnas and down into Talkeetna for a little rest stop. Then ran across the front range of the Alaska Range south of Denali and hit a few new landing spots. It was a lot of fun and amazing scenery right out our back yards, we both agreed we live a pretty blessed life in a pretty special place! Enjoy the pics...
Image[/URL]

cubnak

More pics

Post by cubnak »

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

[/img]Image

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I recognize some of those spots. Where was that last one?

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I envy you mountain flying guys!

cubnak

Post by cubnak »

Paul and I hit some ridges west of Chelatna Lake, don't know the name of them...the rest of the spots were mainly known landing areas, we did look at a couple Cub type strips and a few spots that I've landed with the Cub in the Talkeetnas but I'm not quite ready to go all in yet, I'm trying to be conservative and not get in over my head on something with the Maule, I'm fortunate that I can explore new areas with the Cub so I'll save my serious exploring for that bird!
But it sure is sweet to bomb around and cover ground with the Maule. We noticed Pauls M6 with the same wing and same engine was about 3-4 mph faster with the same engine settings, and he burned a little less fuel, but I'm still learning my leaning process and have been reluctant to run LOP, the more I read about it the more I like the sound of it so will start trying that more. Pauls plane also performs a little better, he's definitely off the ground quicker, partly technique and partly airplane performance I think.
I sure wish I could go do that every day, can't get much more fun than that!

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Yer killin me Smalls! You guys covered some ground! I'd have run out of fuel!!!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Great photos. Some of those backdrops make the plane look tiny.

cubnak

Post by cubnak »

Those planes are small in some of that country! It's a big, bad world out there and the coolest part is it's so close to home, gotta love it!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Extraordinary pics, thanks for posting! :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843