dropped in at Gary's place

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

We'd love to have you along but you might have to start early.

Yes it is pretty super. I've always had a place or two to go for the "hundred dollar hamburger" but most of those places near a runway are just a place to fly and not very special food.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

va Carthage is where pik n pig is. It is on the airport you park infront and walk in. The flying pig is close to Shelby walking distance in good weather but not on the airport. During the week the airport staff will run you over if they have time. Give me a heads up and I can meet you at one of them, except this weekend.
Andy if I get a chance I try and get up to HKY I'll call first. I think maybe Monday if the weather holds. Like you we have a lot going on this month We have a wedding to go to in a couple of weeks and then the holidays which I usually fly/work.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I'll post as far as I know in advance the next time I'll be headed y'all's way ( maybe next weekend if the weather is suitable). The Pick-N-Pig is by far the wife's favorite airplane "DATE " I think we've been there 3or4 times. Is the food is good at The Flying Pig? Note to self must investigate!!!
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

VA Maule, the Flying Pig is a diner-type BBQ restaurant 1/2 mile from the front entrance of the Shelby Regional Airport (KEHO). It's walking distance but I've also used a courtesy car from the FBO since the ground beside the road is weedy and uneven, which my wife doesn't like walking in. Here's a link to their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/The-Flying-Pig ... 281604742/ . They don't have another website.I like their BBQ. It's a popular place.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

JPROLLINS

Post by JPROLLINS »

http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/rmrollins6/slideshow/

First annual poker run is in the books. I hope the link above works.

12 planes, 30 people, 5 stops.

Jackson
1970 Maule M4-220
Jackson

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Mrs. VA Maule wants Barbecue on Sunday so we're heading to BQ1 Carthaage,planning arriving about 11:30. We'll gladly share a table with some of y'all North Carolina folks

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

That's is a probable for us.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

We'll try and make it also. Just watch for fog again in the morning may push the time back a bit.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My wife and I will try to make it to the Pik-N-Pig by 11:30 if we get up early enough. Like Kirk said, it's been really foggy the last few mornings. Yesterday it didn't burn off until close to noon.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Great. Based on forecast which are seldom accurate when it comes to fog looks like it may as late as noon 30 getting there but it's in the plan.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Looking like it's going to be foggy right up to departure time on my end as well,but looking forward to meeting up tomorrow.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

just drove back from a xmas party not as foggy as it has been the last couple of nights we'll have to play it out as the sun comes up.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Still too early to tell but give or take an hour we'll pull it off. I can smell it now.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Low ceiling and visibility, dense fog at Hickory and Carthage all morning today. Too bad we can't make it to Pik-N-Pig. We'll try it another time.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm going to prep for launch just have to see when the fog burns off. Website says they are open till 3 this afternoon so it still may be doable. If not may have to stop at Gary's for peanut butter and jelly and a glass of milk ;-0
Kirk Johnson