dropped in at Gary's place

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Grandson heard "Pig" and got all excited (again). Guess I'm buying Chocolate pie (again).

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks like we'll need an inside table. Not quite as warm as last time.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Afraid I'll have to pass on tomorrow. I suddenly realized that I let my transponder certification lapse last month so the Maule is grounded until I get the transponder, pitot-static and altimeter certified. We use a guy from South Carolina who has a mobile test station and can do the certification in the hangar.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Bummer I had my done early at the last annual to get it in sync with future annuals it had been done at an odd time. My mechanic tries to have a couple lined up so the tech can spread the travel time around. I still plan on coming not sure about the wife. She has a cousin coming into town and wants to do a few things before he gets here. I let a few buddy's know (non Maule types) we'll see if they make it.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Slip that thing out of the rack and label removed for maint.

How bout you VA Maule. You still making it?

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Yep , got the heater on the engine plugged in so "she'll " be warmed up ready to go in the morning. I'm kinda bummed about not being warm enough to set outside too.

Come on Andy it's VFR and we won't tell.
The best Government, is less Government.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Was nice to meet new faces. Had a great time.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Well call me anything but late for lunch. I had to defrost in MSP this am so ended up a bit late but made it in time for the second seating. Va maule brought his lovely wife it was great meeting and putting a face with the avatar.
Looking forward to doing it again and hopefully more can make it. Anyway sure have a great group flying these Maule's.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Well, you were "late for lunch" but we understand. Some of us do still have to work you know. Your bird looked pretty good coming out of my place later. Austin caught a video of it but I'm having a little trouble downloading it.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Sorry I missed the fun and good BBQ at Pik-N-Pig. I got the IFR certification done on the Maule so it's back in flying status the next time you get a taste for BBQ.

Wow, Kirk!!! Sounds like you are doing major upgrades to your Maule. Can't wait to see it.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

We'll get together once it done. Still waiting for the stuff from Maule hopefully next week and getting it scheduled with the shop.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Andy, just got my transponder and altimeter certification today and found out that we use the same technician. This aviation thing is a small world.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Richard at Carolina Avionics, Gary?

He just did my IFR systems certification. He came to Hickory and did it in the hangar.

I may use them to swap out my KT 76A transponder for the Appareo ESG ADS-B transponder when it finishes getting certified. They're one of the few Appareo dealers in the area.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, Richard drove right up and did the cert in my dirt floor hangar. At least I had electricity for him this year. We had to fire up the generator to do the champ last year.

Have known Gary up there forever. He was covered up first of January when I asked him about a KT74 by end of January when I needed certification. We agreed I would mail order the transponder, do the plug and play install entry so Richard could do the cert. and then they would do the ADS-B hookup in a couple of months when they dig out. Won't find many shops that would do that for you.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Richard is the one that did mine also at Compass. John had a couple lined up so I had mine done during the annual. I need to go talk to them about that apparreo unit along with the audio panel I want to replace. Twin Lakes is where I sent my kx155 and I want to see if they can give me a price also. Just been waiting for certification
Kirk Johnson