Mt Mitchell flight

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
andy
Site Admin

Mt Mitchell flight

Post by andy »

Flew north up Mt Mitchell ridge yesterday in the Maule to look at the Fall colors. Not the best this year due to warmer and wetter weather, but still pretty.
https://youtu.be/CFrXgaGQ2vc
Andy
1986 MX7-180

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Hey andy, that link takes you to "Flight over Mt Mitchell NC ", all of 11 seconds long. Is that the one you meant to post?

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Yes, truthinbeer. I took 6 10 second videos at 1080p 60fps with the GoPro Hero 4. The files are big at this resolution and frame rate but they look better. Most of them looked pretty much the same as I flew along the ridge but this one had more interesting shadows. I decided to post just the one even though the music was cut short.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

I've had some bumpy rides along that ridge. There was a time that we flew photographers for local newspaper regularly and they liked to get close and personal.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Glider pilots love that area. I assume they still hold the Mt. Mitchell wave camp there every year.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Yes, they still hold the wave camp near Mt Mitchell each year. They have been using 9A9 (Shiflet Field) in Marion where I used to be based. Last year one glider got to 29,000 feet MSL. It's a very turbulent place to be when there's more than 15 kts of wind. They have a weather station up there that you can access over the Internet, which gives a good clue how much turbulence is in the mountains over a large area.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

andy wrote:Yes, truthinbeer. I took 6 10 second videos at 1080p 60fps ... I decided to post just the one even though the music was cut short.
Oh ok. I was just getting into the music when it stopped. lol :oops:

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy where did you move to. I flew by the other day did not see anyone so came home. Had the grand kids for some flying fun.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Kirk, I moved to Hickory (KHKY) back in April 2015. I'm in the hangar right next door to where I work on the west ramp. I can walk about 100 feet and work on the Maule or fly it if there's nothing going on at work.

Had a disagreement with my hangar landlord at 9A9 and decided that life is too short to waste on folks like that. Besides, Hickory has two runways, snow removal, weather reporting, ILS approach and is not a black hole in the mountains when landing at night.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Good deal being able to do something while waiting for the phone to ring makes a difference. I don't mind being on call and sitting at home I can work on the Honey Do's till the call.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money