This and that.

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
crbnunit
100+ Posts

This and that.

Post by crbnunit »

It has been a while since I have posted any photos so here are two trips rolled into one. First, the new gear!

This shot has the new and old gear. What you can't see is the jaunty angle of the wings. 4" of lift is a lot at the wingtip!
Here is the recover after the repair to the left longeron. We decided to leave the back open.
The gear in use!
General "beautiful Alaska shot"

Met BatMaule and his wife for a flight and hike in the Chugach Mountains last weekend. This is the strip on the East Fork of Friday Creek. About 3800' elevation.
A valley to the East looked promising for a hike!
You can't see it yet but we spotted a possible new landing site!
I'm standing at the touchdown and you can see Paule, about 600' away at the other end.
Another "I live in aparadise shot."
A beautiful touchdown by Paul!
More scenery in the area.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Great pics. I cant believe you landed in that spot ! Im sure you will like the new gear

Dan

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

nice pictures. send more.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

The gear really look nice. Did the higher aoa really make a difference on takeoff and landing?

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I find I can get to full stall at touchdown easier and my landing roll seems a bit shorter. That last part is a pretty subjective but the stall light doesn't lie. I don't think the take off roll is any shorter though. I had hoped the extra height would help me keep the tail wheel off the ground a little longer, and it does... But I find I use the extra AOA to touch down slower and the tail still touches first a lot of the time. That is me though and really has nothing to do with the gear. There is definitely more leverage so nailing the brakes will bring the tail right up. This is very controlable though, a very slow arc and the prop is now a long ways off the ground! The bigest thing is it is a lot harder to see over the nose now. I don't have to S-turn on 31's but 35's would be a different game! Haven't noticed a decrease in cruis speed. Overall, I like them. The step is handy. The bigest thing is I feel a little more confident with them. I always worried about the 42yr old gear.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!