Newbie Flying-Camper

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Newbie Flying-Camper

Post by Maulehigh »

I had previously been advised of a spot where I could camp with the aircraft (which, apart from arranged airfield fly-ins, is pretty rare here in the UK) and promised myself that I should do that someday. The weekend just gone was promised to be fine and warm with a gentle breeze. So, ideal conditions for a newbie flying-camper.
The destination was Weybourne on the North coast of Norfolk (for those of you that know the UK). It was the smallest airfield used by the RAF in WW2 with a runway of 380m, where they used to fly DH Queen Bees (radio controlled Tiger Moths) for anti-aircraft target practice :shock: . Now it's just a field (with runways).

What the BBC weatherman didn't reveal was the 015G025kt wind, 40 degrees off the runway, which made for a sporty approach and arrival :shock: .

Aircraft packed

Camp established, with a lovely view :D

HI watching the sun go down (Sorry it's a bit blurred)

What a fantastic way to spend a weekend. Now just got to find some other Maules... :D
David
'91 MX-7-180

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Well done. Look like you had fun

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

ok, cool site,, so where are the campers? chairs for campers, fire pit/ring/etc? looks like a great spot. any other campers/planes at this area? more photos would be nice.....best to you

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

Chairs? fire? What are these luxuries of which you speak? :D

Actually, we had chairs but it was too cold and windy to sit out. As soon as camp was established, we wanted to get inside and warm. We did have full cooking facilities which provided sufficient heat :D

With regards to other people; this was to be our remote 'backcountry' experience - other than my son and me, there was no-one else. Other aircraft consisted of a derelict Gloster Meteor, seen in the background (below), the origin of which I do not know. A Super Cub visited on Sunday.

David
'91 MX-7-180

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

nice pictures David, cool spot. Get out there and do some more.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Rezrider wrote:nice pictures David, cool spot. Get out there and do some more.
+1, specially with the young ones, introduce them to the lifestyle early

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

a tea kettle??????????? come on now, that a bit much! :lol:
also, is that a cutting board on what may be a silverware tray under the board? :roll: , what was that you said about chairs? hope u know am just ribbing u..... was good for u and the young man to make the outing, am sure his mom probably helped pack!! on a major plus, that stove with broiler is neat, what is the brand name ? best to yall.......

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

What is the old jet in the background?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

cs409 wrote:a tea kettle??????????? come on now, that a bit much! :lol:
also, is that a cutting board on what may be a silverware tray under the board? :roll: .
One tries one's best to maintain standards :lol:

The stove brand is Campingaz and the model is a Camping Chef http://www.campingaz.com/uk/c-547-camping-chef.aspx
David
'91 MX-7-180

Maulehigh
100+ Posts

Post by Maulehigh »

crbnunit wrote:What is the old jet in the background?
A Gloster Meteor, the first jet aircraft to enter service with the RAF, during the latter stages of WW2. More information here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloster_Meteor.

I'm not sure where it came from and the outer wing sections were lying on the grass behind it - very sad :(
David
'91 MX-7-180