Copalis Beach 5-9-2015?

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
TomD
100+ Posts

Copalis Beach 5-9-2015?

Post by TomD »

Think we will go over to Copalis State Airport (S16) tomorrow.

Tides look good:
http://tides.willyweather.com/wa/grays- ... beach.html

Will have to check on fog in the AM but the 11AM low tide looks good

Weather looks decent:

http://aviationweather.gov/metar/data?i ... s=0&taf=on

Anyone else??

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I have to go to a graduation in Idaho tomorrow. At least I will fly.

Tom, next tme you go would you send me an invitation? I'd like to go there but would appreciate your help with timing the tides.

Have a great trip, send pics. :D
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Tom: I saw this too late and am already booked now. I'll see what I can shuffle, but probably won't make it this trip. This has been high on my to-do list since I moved to WA last fall.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I just checked Bowerman (KHQM) in Hoquiam and they are showing 400' ceilings with mist and fog.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

TomD
100+ Posts

S16

Post by TomD »

Had given up on Copalis but as pushed plane out of hanger it cleared and we got there about 1PM. Tide was two hours into the ebb but had a good two hours on the beach.

Ground (beach) fog about 1-2ft moving across the beach on landing was weird. Used best glassy water landing technique and all was good.

I don't have the technique down on my new GoPro yet and failed to get video of landing on beach.

Too bad the wifi option on the GoPro eats battery life so one has to choose between 55 min of boring nothing for three minutes of approach and landing or having the battery die just as you get there. Other option is to move inside but you cannot see the lights on the camera when it is pointing away from you. GoPro great camera but has serious weaknesses for what I want to do.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Tom: I have an action cam made by Contour that uses Bluetooth rather than WiFi and that reduces the battery drain considerably. It also has indicator lights on the back of the camera to indicate when it is recording. Those are just a few of the reasons I chose it over the GoPro line. It was also a LOT cheaper. That might have had something to do with my purchasing decision as well...