Sun n Fun

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
captnkirk
100+ Posts

Sun n Fun

Post by captnkirk »

Will I'm packed up had hoped to leave today but with the cold front pushing thru decided to wait till tomorrow. My wife was not really excited about me leaving till after the weather pasted but I'll be following it down to Lakeland in the am. If any one wants to meet up let me know I'm sure we can find a place and time.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Probably better off. That little line of WX that blew thru this afternoon was pretty wicked. And just when the grass was nice and dry and my planning to go out in the morning.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looks like a better day yesterday. Make it down?

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Did anybody make it to sun and fun?, would like to see some pics, and report back

TomD
100+ Posts

Post by TomD »

Hopefully no tornadoes this year.

TD

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

Captnkirk did make it there. Looks like the factory has one on display as well.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Glad to hear he made it. Sometime gotta keep a check on the older folk.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm back. Tired. It was a long week lots of stuff to see must have walked a hundred miles. Ray Maule was there It was great talking to him a bit. I put up some photos tomorrow. There where no new adsb announcements maybe some pricing changes but no new systems. The group next to me had a support group to keep us stocked up on hydration supplies. It was a hot week but over all the weather was good. More to come.
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Glad to see you made it back. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Sounds like most of the ADS-B players are in place then. Still lots to learn about the ones we know are out there.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Still working on those photos. Flew the plane over to the shop to start the annual compressions all 78/9. A few valve covers weeping and exhaust looks good. The only item on the engine is a small oil leak from the mag drive looks like a new gasket should fix it. Ordered a Insight G3 engine analyzer going to replace the older EI single point system they gave me a show discount and the shop split the mark up since I paid them today. Hopefully this first annual won't be to bad.
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

My take on the Adsb stuff is you can spend a bundle up grade your panel or try and find a simple solution that fits your budget. For my self at this point I see the Appareo transponder as the best choice. It's going to run around 3500 for the box it will include the waas antenna and it uses the existing transponder antenna and encoder. You will need the Stratus unit to display to an Ipad but that is not mandatory. It will be a 1090es transponder with the waas receiver built in, so you will be good in Canada and Mexico. they where having a drawing for a free unit so I stuffed as many forms in there as I could 8) maybe I'll be the big winner. The unit is not certified as of yet they are expecting late this year or early next. I went to a couple of forums but they where mostly put on by manufactures trying to sell there units. One thing they all said was they don't see the FAA extending the date so plan accordingly. A couple of manufacturers have multiple versions of their hardware (L3 and FreeFlight). The L3 NGT-9000 is impressive but is $6800 and one of the down sides is most transponders are on the bottom of the stack and hard to see. I had hoped to make a decision and start working on pricing but until the appareo unit comes out I'm back to waiting.
Kirk Johnson

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

As it stands right now I think I'm also going to go with the Appareo ESG once it gets certified and replace my KT 76A. I probably won't connect it to the Stratus 2 since I don't really see any serious benefits in doing that.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Andy I asked that at the show the sales rep said when connected the waas from the ESG provides the position to the Stratus so you get the benefit of an external antenna and both units having the same position. Also the stratus will then be powered and can be mounted out of sight. Again just minor points but just wanted to repeat what I had heard.
Kirk Johnson