Yosemite

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Yosemite

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I was in California for a medical conference a couple of weeks ago.

I flew commercial to SFO but after the week long conference took a few days and rented a Cessna in Hayward and toured my old stomping grounds, San Francisco airspace. Then I drove to Sonora (Columbia Airport, O22) and rented a different Cessna to tour my other old stomping grounds, Yosemite National Park.

I have nmore pics to share but Photobucket is giving me nothing but fits.

I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Doc did you use that open airplane group if they can get enough locations it will be easy as renting a car. Great shot of Yosemite I've drive thru a couple of times just didn't have a lot of time to stop and admire all the views. About the best we can do is the Linville Gorge maybe Andy or MM can post some shots they are protecting that area.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Beautiful. Nice shot of the back side of Half Dome and ElCap in the background.

The woman and I are planning to fly into LV, rent a car, drive to Reno for a few days of air races, cross into CA and do a grand tour of the Redwoods, Sequoia (sp?), the Sierras, Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Tahoe and whatever else gets in our way. Date to be determined!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I rented from the flight school in Hayward I got my PPL from many years ago. They know me there and just gave me the plane without a checkout.

In Sonora I rented from a friend's FBO so I did not need a checkout.

I like to rent a plane and tour the local area if time an $ permit when I'm on a trip to a place I don't know well.

When I do that I get the plane with a CFI.

No checkout needed, it's nice to have the help of a person who knows the area, and it's faster and cheaper than getting checked out. Plus then the type of plane I'm in doesn't matter much, and some dual now and then is good for all of us.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I understand took an hour of dual in a beaver on floats at Kenmore. I need to do that again sometime had a blast.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Beamerpilot
100+ Posts

Post by Beamerpilot »

Fortunately many of us understand...
Got my Maule delivered, parked it and drove to Montana to spend three days with Rick Geiger for some dual time in his.
The more experience you get in aviation the more you respect it...
Many hours, endorsements and type ratings don't necessarily make you current on all types.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Linville Gorge can't compare with Yosemity, but here's a link to an album with some pictures, Kirk. The Gorge is 2,000 feet depp, 16 miles long and the Linville River runs through the bottom of it into Lake James, where I live. It's located at 35-54.668N, 81-54.715W.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10331731 ... nbLe8NDHew
Andy
1986 MX7-180