Mexico trip

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Mexico trip

Post by Rezrider »

About this time every winter we start hanging for some beach time. We have friends that spend winters down there so what better reason than to point the Maule south and go on an adventure!

A fellow Maule joined us on the first section of the trip to a lovely little town in Sonora called Alamos. We set out from G-town to clear customs in Guaymas but couldn't make it non-stop due to horrible headwinds cranking out of the south. Our ground speed was down in the 90's at times!

Clearing 2 planes in at the same time took a while, the Commandante wasn't doing too well with the paperwork. Everyone was friendly and we got some fuel and were on our way.
An hour later we were in Alamos.

Alamos is an old Spanish colonial town in the heart of silver country. Cobble streets and old haciendas add to the charm of the place.
This is the posada we stayed at.

We could only stay 2 nights as we had to keep heading south. Our destination was to be Zihuatanejo, way south, 17 degrees north latitude in fact. We said goodbye to our Maule friends and set off early the next morning. With a fuel stop in Mazatlan, we flew over volcanic craters near Tepic.

5.3 hours of flying that day and we landed at the Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo international airport. They have a nice general aviation ramp there and we tied down.
Below is the bay and the city draped over the hillsides.

Time went by too fast. Fresh seafood and cold beers on the beach were the order of the day everyday! We went flying with our friends and saw whales, dolphins, turtles and manta rays from the plane.
Soon it was time to make the long trek home.

Our route back took us near Manzanillo and we cut the corner between Colima and Puerta Vallarta. We ended up with a great view of the volcano near Colima called 'Tzapotepetl' at 12600 ft MSL. It was a bit hazy but we got a shot of it anyway.

Another stop in Mazatlan for gas, they are starting to get to know us there! Then back to Guymas for the night. 6.5 hours in the saddle that day. A bit of rainy weather to deal with too. I was beat.
The next morning was a short leg to Nogales AZ to clear back in then on the home stretch.

Overall a fantastic trip. 23 hours of flying in total. Gas averaged between $4.00 and $4.50/gal. Landing fees were about $6 and parking was about $7/day.
Everyone was friendly and polite, the controllers were great.
Now, about that Baja trip this fall :wink:
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Thanks for the trip report and great photos. The accommodation looks good too.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Beautiful!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Great pics and story Rezrider! Your exploits, and those of RW2 really make me want to try a South of the Border trip one day. I need to start planning rather than passively dreaming...
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Flyhound wrote:Great pics and story Rezrider! Your exploits, and those of RW2 really make me want to try a South of the Border trip one day. I need to start planning rather than passively dreaming...
If you have any hesitations then I'll go with you for your first trip and show you the ropes. Any excuse for a Maule fly-in!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi Rez, looks like a great trip. Ill have to put it on my bucket list 😄
Dan

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Danws wrote:Hi Rez, looks like a great trip. Ill have to put it on my bucket list 😄
Dan
Put it on the list Dan, I'm thinking about a Baja trip in the fall if you want to tag along!
Oh and by the way, the list is only any good if you get to cross those items OFF the list!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Well done looks like you had a great time magnificent place

rw2

Post by rw2 »

Great trip report. Sorry we missed you, would have been fun to hook up while you were down south...

stvnnelson

Post by stvnnelson »

Nice pics. I live in La Paz, Mexico in the winter Nov. to May 1st. If you drop in we can do a little cruising and fishing. Also Montana in the summer. MT21 on the airport lists. Nelson (pvt) outside Lincoln, Mt.. Drop in on the way over. stvnnelson@aol.com

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

stvnnelson wrote:Nice pics. I live in La Paz, Mexico in the winter Nov. to May 1st. If you drop in we can do a little cruising and fishing. Also Montana in the summer. MT21 on the airport lists. Nelson (pvt) outside Lincoln, Mt.. Drop in on the way over. stvnnelson@aol.com
That's good to know, I'm planning a Baja trip this fall so maybe we can meet up and go flying/boating/fishing/etc..
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Flew over to gbarrier's place yesterday. Nice weather and airstrip. Thanks for the great conversation, Gary. Loved your airplane. Captnkirk, you me and Kirk on the Tennessee side of the mountains need to have our own Maule get together when the weather gets warmer.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I'm ready need to pick a place if it is wife friendly mine may come along.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money