Real good BBQ

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
gbarrier
100+ Posts

Real good BBQ

Post by gbarrier »

Popped up to about 6500 this morning just to check a few things and warm the oil. As I rolled over and started back down slowly I realized "hey, I could be over to Carthage, NC by the time I get down and it is almost lunchtime".

There's a great BBQ joint right on the little airport (5nc3). Unlike some of the hundred dollar hamburgers that is just a place to fly to this one is really good. It is usually slammed with locals as well as a hand full of all sorts of airplanes even on a weekday lunchtime. Saw a Grumman, a Citabria, A Seabee, Cherokee, and RV in less than an hour while I was there today.

It's located near Fayeteville, Raleigh, etc. and I highly recommend it to anyone in the Carolinas, Virginia who is looking for a good lunch outing.

Of coarse when I came back out the battery spun the engine over briskly about half a dozen times (shame on me for taking that many strokes) and prompt died. Nice local gave me a jump. I knew better when I bought that Gill. Was just trying to save a few pounds over the Concorde. Now the decision, Concorde or Odyssey.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Dang - that is one of the gems I missed while my Maule and I were based in Virginia. Sigh.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I discovered the Pickin Pig about a year or so ago after the cafe at Martensville (KMTV) closed. It's really a cool place, and the wife just loves to set outside and watch the go arounds and tire smokers!

This would be prime spot for a mid-Atlantic flyin/get together.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I've heard about that place. When I get back from Texas, my carb should be back by then, maybe the place for a lunch run.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Yep, you won't be disappointed.

Anyone know of other cool places around the Carolinas? Doesn't take much for me to "go eat".

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Strongly recommend Odyssey. One of the better mods I've done and it's worth the extra effort in my opinion

MikeW

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Ok, gonna check that box on my Aircraft Spruce order and call my PMI on Monday to see if I can get an appointment when I'm back in town on Wednesday.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Outer Banks Brewing Station.
Go to First Flight airport (KFFA) walk up to the Wright Brothers monument look to the South East and you will see a wind turbine that powers the brewery. From the moment it's less then half a mile.

JPROLLINS

Post by JPROLLINS »

Definitely fly down to the runway cafe in Greenville, SC if you are in western NC. I am back and forth between Clemson and Concord often and its a great place.