not quite home

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

captnkirk wrote:Thanks Jim that was what I had expected. Like I said I made my choice it work your mileage may vary
Well I'm just glad that it worked out.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Christine
Site Admin

My 2 cents.....

Post by Christine »

As pilots we have often to make quick decisions. Our decisions are based on our knowledge, experience (our own as well as other pilots') and sometimes also gut feelings. At times our decision are right, sometimes they are wrong. We don't always have all the tools, knowledge or experience to make the best decision possible but don't have the luxury of delaying our deciding on a course of action.
The more we share our own experiences and decisions the more we can learn from other pilots good or not so good decisions and experiences.
I find it extremely important to support everyone who decides to share their experiences. If we start judging someone else's decision then we may loose this opportunity of learning from other pilots experiences. We never know all of the circumstances and details how a decision was made unless we have been there. Discussions, brainstorming, figuring out what may have been the best solution retrospectively is good and helpful for learning, judging (negatively) a decision is mainly counterproductive in my experience.
I am an advocate of learning through sharing what other pilots have experienced and what their decisions had been (and the outcome) and think about alternate solutions and their possible outcome. Then, if I should get into a similar situation, I would be more prepared to make my own decision. Everyone, please keep sharing your experiences and keep it friendly and non-judgmental .....Thank you
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

captnkirk...check your messages...PM SENT!

riverbuggy
100+ Posts

Post by riverbuggy »

Thank you Christine. Well said. I always learn something from these discussions. They provide much food for thought, and I don't want them to stop.
Ray
1970 M4-220C N2056U

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Thanks Christine, you hit nail on head... AND I'd like to add that no need to take any comments, constructive criticism, other ideas, etc personally... If the shoe fits, wear it, if you don't agree, oh well, no big deal... For a lot of our experiences, there is no one right answer for what's best in that given situation. Kind of like the Wheel / Three Point landings debate which could go on forever, bottom line - do what works for you and makes you comfortable, which is usually your best choice!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MauleMechanic
100+ Posts

Post by MauleMechanic »

During my multi-engine check ride years ago, my examiner ask me "what are you doing" about ten times. Each time I replied, "flying the airplane". I finally asked why he kept asking me that question. He replied......as long as you are doing something....even if it is wrong, DO SOMETHING!

I find nothing wrong with Kirks decision......a running engine is a good engine, a quiet engine means PAIN. Ask me how I know!

I have made several dead stick landings, one crash and climbed like a bat outta hell in a J-3 with a broke throttle cable. Spring pulled full power so I climbed until I could think! I was still a student pilot. Shut it down and was my first dead stick landing.....at a control towered airport.

TOWER - I thought this was a ful stop landing
ME - SO DID I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cs409
100+ Posts

Post by cs409 »

Hey captnkirk, glad all worked out ok for you and the maule. Am sure you didnt have a blue shirt on so in the future just make sure to wear a Blue Shirt, that way all will be good! best to you

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Well Jim and Jim have brought up some valid points it made me think. I have ordered a new fire extinguisher . I had gotten use to having one at work I overlooked the fact I need one in the Maule. There are many good ideas on this web site and I want to keep them coming. I may have a lot of time but I am still learning alot about our Maule.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Christine,

Thanks for the reply, it was spot on.

I am one of the folks that truly benefit from the experiences of the forum, and hope that nobody would hold back in fear of a brow beating.

You run an awesome site that I visit more than I should. :D

Jeffery
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

+1 on the fire extinguisher. It was one of the first things I added to my airplane. Mounted it on the tubing of the right front seat where it could be grabbed quickly.

Thanks Christine. I agree that flaming of people that share their experiences discourages getting help from others and we lose the benefit of information.

Fortunately, that is rarely seen on this board.

Kirk