not quite home

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

MauleWacko wrote:What if someone takes your wife or kid up and when they come back to land they circle the runway because it is running rough and you tell them on the radio and they fly off to another runway and just before they get out of sight you see it drop to the ground and turn into a smoke ball. Now what are you going to say?
I was not there, you were. If your place is Northbrook the photo on airnav looks easy for a maule. Just think of what could of happened once you went for another runway and it was a real bad fuel leak, out in a meadow or tree on fire dead? Like I said before I would of landed right there and most I know would also. I say it the way it is without any candy ass and most won't these days so they don't affend anyone.
You posted on the internet. Sometimes you get a pat on the back and sometimes a kick in the ass. I'll take a ass kicking anyday to stay alive and Please prove me wrong so I can learn from my mistakes. :shock:
I think all Jim was trying to say was this could have developed into something much more serious, LIKE MAYBE A FIRE? Would be a little different in mult-engine as you could at least shut an engine down and secure to RTF... Nothing learned / nothing gained? If your safety threshold and reasoning are acceptable to you, that's all that counts. I think personally I'd be a little more cautious in my new airplane, but that's just my take, doesn't mean jack!!
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Thanks Jim.
You know what I mean.
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

You should know, you blew me
Last edited by chris erasmus on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

let me add this when we installed the Rieff preheat I had the plug located in the air intake and when the carb heat was pulled the engine ran the ruffest. My first thought was it was not connected correctly. turning off the carb heat and adding power fixed the problem . So making a low power approach into a short strip seem like the least desirable choice. Believe me Jim new (to me) airplanes scare the heck out of me. I've done enough ferry work in my past to learn that lesson. The leak was found on the ground after shut down. no tapping the bowl to see if it would reset and flying away. I'm trying to get some time on a regular basis to "find" all these little items and get them corrected.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

MauleWacko wrote:I pulled my comment to not go as low as your thoughts about the differences in makes of airplanes. It be a Aeronca, Waco, Piper Cessna, maule, Stinson etc . Owning and flying most of them really makes no difference. Seeing your posts about how a cessna is to your maule is enough for anyone to see without me posting it.
Easy to dish out, tough to take it

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Here's my final take on the issue. I have never seen on this board anyone discuss the implications of carb heat producing an increase in engine roughness. Like I said before I made my choice was based on what I knew at the time. All other engine indications, egt, oil pressure and temps, where normal other than the rough running engine. I have an EI single point egt with a carb heat input the temp was 29 degrees so carb ice was a normal expectation the response was not. I had work preformed in that area so a misconnection was a likely factor. I made my choice based on those inputs. NOW things have changed based on this, what have we all learned? Now a similar event will have to include the possibility of a fuel leak, the response may be different. Just one more question for you guys to think about, since all engine roughness requires an immediate landing what are you going to do if your over water? Hope you can swim :shock:
Kirk Johnson

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have removed this sorry for letting my decorum down
Last edited by captnkirk on Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kirk Johnson

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Usually when Carb Ice is actually present, after initially pulling carb heat on, the engine does get rougher until such time as the ice melts enough at which point RPM will rise, engine will get smoother. 29F is an ideal temp for carb ice as well... I fail to see why we got to get all these ATTITUDE problems, etc,etc,etc... Being airline captain means nothing in my book, you've got some excellent airplane drivers and you've also got some lousey drivers amongst those ranks as well!! I speak from experience as I did my 20 years with a major airline and having a hell of a lot more fun now!! Everyone has got an opinion, some of which are based on fact, some of which on fantasy, some of which are result of experience... If this is what the forum is coming to, not worth much effort to respond to anything... I also learned long time ago, one man's ideal airplane may not and probably isn't your own ideal airplane, doesn't pay to shoot him down just because of that? Matter of fact, for me to cover what I like to do in the air, I need about a half dozen aircraft, all of different manufacturers? Maybe one of these days I'll hit lottery!!!
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Thanks Jim that was what I had expected. Like I said I made my choice it work your mileage may vary
Kirk Johnson

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Damn what a rough crowd. A wise old aviator once told me that he never worried about a fire until after landing, slowing down and the airflow decreased. Don't know how true that is.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

gbarrier wrote:Damn what a rough crowd. A wise old aviator once told me that he never worried about a fire until after landing, slowing down and the airflow decreased. Don't know how true that is.
Have a good friend flying Stinson Gull Wing who looked up at his headliner one night flight to find that fabric on fire, and he could see the stars overhead... Landed immediately, got burned somewhat, broke an arm in landing on tundra, but survived, passenger walked away unhurt... Not a heck of a lot you can do while in air, hopefully you're not real high as fabric burns quick...
Jim

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Bottom line. You were the pilot in command. You were there, we wern't. You made a choice. It worked. Nuff said.

As far as landing immediately if the engine coughs, that is not always the best call. I've had clogged injectors and simiclogged injectors. Both scared the snott ouf of me since I was far from anywhere friendly to land. Lost a mag last summer. Did I ditch it into the trees? No. There are few absolutes unless the big fan stops turning.

I have to say, when my strobe power supply melted down a few years ago, I couldn't get that thing back on the ground quick enough! I really hate the idea of fire!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Sounds like a reasonable decision to me.

Kirk