not quite home

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
captnkirk
100+ Posts

not quite home

Post by captnkirk »

Picked up the m5 today after having the preheat installed along with an oil change. On the way back as I was letting down to land at my place started running ruff ,thought I had carb ice so pulled the heat and that just made it worse. I circled over the house playing with the mixture, carb heat and throttle nothing helped. My wife heard me and called on the hand held and told me it didn't sound right so I elected to head back to Shelby. when I set cruise power it smoothed back out I didn't touch it again till I was over the airport then gave my self room to get it slowed down and on the ground. Anyway shut down took a look and found fuel leak from the carb. Float valve was stuck fuel was leaking into the plenum so when I pulled the heat I was getting more fuel sucked into the engine and running ruff. Carb is on it's way for over haul . So that's how I spent my winter vacation.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Sounds like you managed it well. Also sounds like it should be a fairly easy and inexpensive repair. Glad everything worked out.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Bummer.

Remember when we would have just popped it apart and had a look. Now everything goes out for overhaul. Not sure a carb overhaul is cheap.

Most dangerous trips are the ones just after maintenance.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Spot on there gbarrier, I always insist that the engineer who worked on my plane fly with me for a couple of circuits

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I've been told the most dangerous flight is first one after annual. I always do it without a non pilot passenger and in good VFR in the daylight and over favorable terrain.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

yeah I had taken the mechanic that worked on it for a "test flight" he's hoping to be a missionary pilot in the future and wanted to do a little tail dragger flying. I also wanted him to watch my tach as it has been fluctuating abit and after sleeping on it I told him to order one that's been clocked to the current time. The airplane is going to be down so might as well get it straighten out. No need waiting till annual time. We discussed having the shop open it up but he was honest and said the cost would be close to overhaul anyway. Sending it out as a fix and repair with overhaul if needed. It's the original even though the engine was overhauled they reused all the accessories so it was due any way turns out there is a bulletin on that carb so this will take care of that too. I'm glad it happened close to home/shop and didn't result in a failure. I expected things like this as I get the airplane sorted out. AS it says on my avatar If god had meant man to fly or the corollary all you need to fly is airspeed and money
Kirk Johnson

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

My tach was a full 200 rpm off when I bought the airplane how do people fly stuff like that. Sent it to local speedo shop. Cost about $200 but is like new and spot on.

And Wacko, I've been to his strip. If I could make it run normal by powering back up and staying at altitude I might have gone back to Shelby too. Not that my strip is any better.
Last edited by gbarrier on Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

MauleWacko wrote:So you are over your runway and it is running rough and your wife tells you it is sounding funny on a hand held below you on a runway,then you fly 14 miles back to another runway. Wow, I wonder why my insurance rates go up?
It's because you fly a Cessna lol

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Let me guess you think skimming a lake doesn't affect them at all or landing on a gravel bank. The level of roughness was similar to what you see with carb ice and it was only at low power settings. I was more afraid of the engine quitting on final going into a short tree lined strip than having to make a power on approach to a 5000 runway where the local emt's hangout for lunch. There are a lot of cow pastures around here and a few other grass strips so there where multiple alternates in route. I've been fortunate in my career only a hand full of engine problems and one diversion over the north atlantic due to smoke in the cockpit. the worst single engine problem was in a c170 that threw a rod on take off but still made enough power to get us back to the runway. When I was still flying corporate I was a named pilot on a few aircraft it helped them keep there rates down because I was rated and trained in type. You have to remember the nearest suitable may not be the closest.
Kirk Johnson

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

Very well said Kirk! Pilot makes the safety decision

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

Last edited by MauleWacko on Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris erasmus
100+ Posts

Post by chris erasmus »

We as lowly maule pilots are truly privileged and blessed to receive such a fine education on flight safety from a Cessna flyer. Thank you for sharing your infinite wisdom and experience with us less fortunate mortals

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Sorry you disagree but that's ok with me. My place is not Northbrook it's west of there. Airplanes don't drop to the ground unless you stall them and don't recover. I was alone no one else was at risk. My decision may have been different with pax involved. Anytime you get into an airplane as pic you will have to make choices based on you experience training believes desires etc. There will never be any one right answer for things that happen. Could the outcome have been different of course. One of the great tools out there is the simulator we get to second guess other pilots responses to an incident. I have flown thru events that others haven't and died in others (very humbling).I've flown Sully's accident to Teterbough once I made it and once I didn't. Do you know he bypassed part of the checklist ,he started the apu before it was called for. So this outcome was good for me, I made the right decision for me, you can do what you think is best and I hope it works out as well for you. I just have very little faith in blanket statements about what is always right or wrong in an airplane. I took time to analyze the problem. I was in a position to land when I made my choice. I had alternatives and if I had a problem the goal would have changed to survival
Kirk Johnson