San Juan Islands

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Flyhound
100+ Posts

San Juan Islands

Post by Flyhound »

I still haven't been properly introduced to any backcountry strips around my new home, but I keep flying so I'm not too rusty once the opportunity presents itself. I've noticed a large number of private grass strips in the area and I look forward to making the connections that will let me land there. In the meantime, the flights to paved strips still present some remarkable scenery!

Mount Baker from near Deception Pass

Turning base into Roche Harbor airport

The sun setting over the Olympic Mountains on the way home. That's all water in the foreground, but there is land just off my left wing...

Turning from downwind to base at my new home in Port Townsend
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi Flyhound , My wife and I made the trip to the San Juans last summer, we loved it, we spent a week in the area. We had such a good time we will do it again, We should to get together sometime.

Dan

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

I am so glad that you are enjoying your new home, up here in the beautiful Pacific Northwest. I have stated for years that on a sunny day, no place is prettier than the Northwest, in particular the San Juan Islands. That area is really made for pilots.

Thank you for sharing the pictures paragraph hopefully sometime soon, this summer perhaps, we can have another Maule Fly In in the San Juan Islands. A couple of years ago we met and camped at Point Roberts, it was a fantastic trip.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

maulem5210c

Post by maulem5210c »

Flyhound and Mountain Doctor,
Would be great to meet up sometime for a get together of Maules. I plan on this summer to do some camping with my 14 year old son in some country strips of Idaho, but still learning where. If you are ever around the Spanaway area (S44) that's my location.
1977 M5-210c (upgrading for back country fun)
Building RV-8

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Maule M5-210 and Mountain Doctor: Yeah, we should circle the Maules for several get togethers this flying season. We could also crash some of the other flying events and just have Maules be the dominant type present. I know I'll be going to the Alvord Desert fly-in this August 14-16.
http://www.pacificnorthwestflying.com/i ... ic=12617.0

I can imagine a camping trip to Sullivan Lake, or Stehekin once those state grass strips open up after June 1.

I'll do some cogitating on other possible Maule meeting places earlier this summer and see what I can come up with. Will either of you be at the Northwest Aviation Conference later this month? We could do some planning over a lunch. I'll be wearing my Maule hat, so I'll be easy to identify.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Where is the NW aviation conference?

I look forward to hanging out.

I work my 'control stick' off during the winter so as to have more flying time during the best PNW weather from March to November.

My plane is getting a very thorough annual this month to make sure it's up to anything.

All SB's and SL's will be met, landing gear upgross upgrade, and an annual by a Maule expert. A friend has a set of 8.5's in his hangar we may want to try out. Don't tell the Feds...
Last edited by Mountain Doctor on Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Not quite San Juans, but I own a piece of property right on the grass runway at W12 (Lost River) north of Mazama. Great spot, but I've actually only visited it a few times. If any of you want to check that area out, you are welcome to land there and camp on my property. Just check with me first, and I can give you particulars. It would actually be nice to have someone have a look at the place now and then and report back to me on how it's doing. There is no building on the property, so it would truly be camping (or just a nice destination for a day trip). I believe the runway is still closed in the winter, so don't rush over there just yet ;).

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Wow!

Thanks Andy!

WA12 is 1,301 feet long at 301' MSL. If the approach/departure is clear I get get my Maule in and out of there OK, as long as it's not hot out.

I'd be interested in knowing more about it as the season gets closer.

Alvord Desert? I've not been there but it's fairly close. I would be very interested in that also.

Clear prop!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Different place. Mine is W12, which is 3100' long, vs. WA12, 1300'.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

A few photos of W12:

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Dang Andy! I may have to visit sometime! What a beautiful spot!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

crbnunit wrote:Dang Andy! I may have to visit sometime! What a beautiful spot!
Feel free! I wish I had more opportunities to go there, but it's a long way from the places where I spend most of my time. I bought the lot there on a whim many years ago, and have never really done anything with it. Maybe it'll be a retirement spot. Or I'll end up selling it to fund my retirement...

TomD
100+ Posts

Lost river

Post by TomD »

Andy;

Most awesome!

Look for me to try it out when weather permits.

Doc,

The PNW aviation conference is at the Puyallup fairgrounds. See: http://www.washington-aviation.org/NAC&TS.html

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Mountain Doctor: The NW Aviation Conference is held in Puyallup, WA. This year's even will be on February 21-22. The conference agenda and other details can be found at:

http://www.washington-aviation.org/schedule.html

There is a pretty good slate of seminars and workshops. Some of the workshops (like the mountain and canyon flying workshop) require a fee and pre-registration, so you might want to go through the offerings online before the conference rolls around.

Andy: I don't know if the view from your property is like the images in your pictures all the time, or if you were just lucky when you happened to pop by. Either way, that looks like a pretty good sized slice of heaven to me.

Danws
100+ Posts

Post by Danws »

Hi. Guys.
Im planning on going to the conference, and taking the mountain flying class. I hope to see some of you there. Do we need to set a meeting place? How will I find you all ?

Dan