Afternoon Sunset

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
JDW

Afternoon Sunset

Post by JDW »

Caught a good sunset. They will be getting later after tomorrow. https://vimeo.com/115089580

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Great little video. I would have liked to have seen more. Ski flying looks amazing. I am almost hooked just watching that. Do you they "groom" the runway like they would a ski slope? Do they plow or roll it? How do they keep it so smooth and apparently not powdery?
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Hello JD- Looks like high noon out there in video? Days start getting longer tomorrow, hope we can keep temps like they've been 1st half of winter? Doc, most of our little Podunk airports pack and groom our runways simply to allow for getting in / out in wheeled airplanes. Don't really need all that grooming on skis, nor do you find much grooming out in remote country. The skis tend to add many landing areas to areas that are ski accessible.. Open opportunities to access many areas not otherwise suitable on anything but skis... So long as it's not too cold, some of best flying up here is the early spring flying on skis... Great viz, smooth air, etc, etc....
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

JDW

Post by JDW »

Yes Jim it was a little after high noon. Would be nice if temps stay where they are but sure need some more snow. Mt Doc like Jim said we groom our own. Basically just drag it and knock the air out of the snow it will freeze solid overnight. If you notice in the video you will see tire tracks where I'm taking off. Unfortunately we have people that like to drive down the run way before the snow has had a chance to freeze solid. You get a ski hooked in one of those tracks it can be a wild ride. Another video of spring flying 2 years ago, as Jim says best time of year for ski flying.https://vimeo.com/39810894

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Thanks for posting the second video. I am checked out on floats, which I love. Skis would be a magnificent rating to add. It really looks so peaceful. Also, as you guys said, it adds tremendous number of potential landing sites. With that said, I would imagine often airport landing in the snow can be tricky, because I don't suppose you ever really really know what the snow was like until after you were already touching it.

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Do you have a hanger, or does your bird sleep outside? How many horsepower do you have? Also, do you land on the snow covered frozen river, or is it too dangerous?

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

JDW

Post by JDW »

MD, My plane is outside year round. Its a 180 horse, with constant speed prop & spring gear with wheel penetration skis. I have only landed on the river twice it was in a area where snow machines had packed down a good spot. Rivers have a lot of logs that can hide under the snow along gravel bars, best to really know portion of river you are landing on. Over flow is a big problem on rivers & lakes. I have never been stuck in over flow but got stuck a few times in deeper snow while learning how to turn a plane in a small area. After you spend a few hours digging out & packing a runway with snow shoes you learn not to be afraid to put full power in to get it to turn. With the wheel penetration skis I have you get a lot more drag than a straight ski. My friend with the 170 on straight skis in the video has a 145 horse engine and can get airborne sooner than me. Like you said, snow is always changing & not really sure what you got till your in it. Always good idea to drag skis across several times before you land. Be carful in low light conditions. Hard to tell where the ground is when everything is grey. Pack lots of gear incase you have to spend the night. Ski flying is a blast, digging plane out not so much.

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Nice video.