The Arizona circuit

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

The Arizona circuit

Post by Rezrider »

We wanted to go up into Utah but the weather didn't cooperate so we went south instead.
The destination? Red Creek airstrip on the Verde river north of Phoenix.
Along the way down we stopped at pleasant valley, a USFS strip about 20 miles east of Payson. It's at about 5300 msl. We walked up and down the strip for a few minutes. A local saw us land and stopped by to chat and offer us a lift into town if we needed.
30 minutes flying time later we were in red creek among some of the biggest saguaros you've ever seen.
We hiked, cooked on the fire and camped out.

The next morning we headed to grapevine on lake Roosevelt. It's only open the 3rd weekend of each month and the timing was perfect.
About 6 or 7 planes were parked there.
After lunch I took off for double circle ranch on the way back to G-town.
I'd never been there before and wanted to see it, what a great place.
It's an old homestead near the Apache rez. It's the wild west for sure.
The tails winds got us home in short order.
Overall a good little one night getaway. I didn't take many pics but some of the other folks did, I'll put them up when I get some.

1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Pretty sweet! With all those prickly things laying around, you have good motivation to stay on the runway centerline. I'd love to fly that area on my next trip to the Southwest!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Looked like fun.

Post by chazdevil »

Looked like a nice flight. I'll try those next time down.
79 M5 235Turbo