Chasin' Jetboats

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Chasin' Jetboats

Post by wtxdragger »

The Pecos River through West Texas is running at high levels in the last couple weeks. It has opened up some areas for Jetboating that haven't been in decades. I have been trying to get some footage.

Here is a sample.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks8tkOsCn0c

The song is by John Daly the golfer. 8)
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Great footage.

Mountain Doctor
100+ Posts

Post by Mountain Doctor »

Nice work.

Great strip and a great landing too.

Nice area. Many years ago while on a cross country motorcycle ride I visited the Pecos River and did some fishing.

As I recall I did not catch any fish but met some scantilly clad southern girls go swimming. A good day, all told.
I am an AME in Richland, Washington. Please call for an appointment!

560 Gage Blvd.
Richland, WA 99352
(509) 628-2843

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Cool video! What part of the river is this?

Langtree and the Pecos River are cool places. I've done lots of caving and climbing around there.

We were out caving in Emerald Sink and Emerald Quarry one New Years and decided to go into Langtree to the little bar for a burger and a drink to get out of the cold. There were a couple of ranchers, a few hands. It is to this day this is the only time I walked in to a place of business and actually had the music stop. Literally. Probably didn't help that I had hair down to the middle of my back at the time.

Could we get that to go?

Good times!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

crbnunit, I get distracted and forget to answer posts sometimes.

The Pecos River in the video is between Iraan and Sheffield, with most of this footage at Sheffield. My wife's granddad has a place there and the landing was done on a neighbors hay fields.
River looks now like it did when her "Da" tells the stories of when he was a kid. Only a few places to cross in the old days. One of the notorious was Horsehead Crossing just a short distance from here.

Sorry for the delay.
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

No worries. I've never been on the Pecos that high up. pretty much just the section near the border. How are the land owners about landing on the gravel/sand bars along the river out there?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

There's not many gravel/sand bars that are landable, or not for me anyway. Most are deposited during high runoff rains and are rough as hell. Lots of big rocks left behind

I was raised close to Dryden, always a lot of spelunkers checking out the sinkholes in the area when I was a kid.
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Wow! Not much out there. Probably lots of freedom for a kid though. Small graduating class! Did you get bussed to Sanderson?

Not many caves that I remeber out there but I never did much caving in that area. Some really big caves not far across the border though!

Can't tell you how many times I drove through there. Pretty in a way, at least in the winter and early spring!

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I grew up at an El Paso Gas Plant between Sheffield and Dryden. Half of us road the bus to Iraan, 52 miles, and the other half road the bus 50 miles to Sanderson. Left at 5:30 every morning to get to school by 7:30. Made about 10 stops along the way to pick up kids that lived on a ranch. 29 in my graduating class.
Great place to grow up. :) In the summer, we saw our parents at daylight and then after dark. Foxworthy had it better, we only got 3 channels of snow, and didn't even care
There are alot of sinkholes in the area, but not any big caves. One fairly good one about 8 mile South of Sheffield. My dad would lead any of the spelunkers around to the local holes. Did you ever go through the one at Langtry, I always heard it came out at the River.
The bar at Langtry was called Bud and Pansy's, had the best pickled quail eggs you ever ate, made a hamburger that would make you fight your mother over.
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I've done Langtree Lead, Langtree Quarry and Emerald Sink in the area. There is a little cave in Langtree its self called Blasting Cap Cave. The name tells you why to stay out of that one... Nearly died in Emerald sink. Good times!

Had burger there on another trip. It was good!